First Cobia

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

4reels

First Cobia

Post by 4reels »

Landed my first cobia today. 42 inches. Quite a story that involved me dropping my net, my gaff, and then almost my rod in the water trying to fight and land this fish.

I decided to go out by myself early this am. 7 am meeting . . . check. Did that via phone somewhere around Port Leon in the boat. (It was a physician wellness committee meeting anyway-I’m thinking this IS the key to “wellness”). Then headed out to some near-shore reefs. Used the Sabiki to pick up some bait, then only had one bite all morning, but it was a good one!

I wish I had a GoPro that could have captured me running around the boat, knocking stuff overboard, then landing this fish with no net & no gaff!

That was an expensive fish, but dang it was fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: First Cobia

Post by silverking »

Congrats. That's a nice one and came with a fish tale you'll never forget. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

nice cobia! So how did you get it in the boat with no net and no gaff?

Hand in mouth/ gills?
All photos copyright @saverymill
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Good job! Since this is your first I have a little advise on cleaning them. First wash off as much of the fish slim as you can before putting it on the cleaning table. Then treat it like a flounder where you fillet it into four pieces instead of two. It will make it a little easier to manage. Again, congrats on your first Cobia! Well done.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Woop! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Nice catch
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

4reels wrote:I wish I had a GoPro that could have captured me running around the boat, knocking stuff overboard, then landing this fish with no net & no gaff!
Nice fish, still waiting on my first cobia.

Your above quote reminded me of a previous post about a green cobia. Read the post below for one of the funniest stories posted here.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 4174&hilit
4reels

Post by 4reels »

leonreno wrote:
4reels wrote:I wish I had a GoPro that could have captured me running around the boat, knocking stuff overboard, then landing this fish with no net & no gaff!
Nice fish, still waiting on my first cobia.

Your above quote reminded me of a previous post about a green cobia. Read the post below for one of the funniest stories posted here.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 4174&hilit

That’s an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

That old post is soooo good. I can't read it without laughing out loud.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
4reels

Post by 4reels »

Srbenda wrote:nice cobia! So how did you get it in the boat with no net and no gaff?

Hand in mouth/ gills?

Well . . . . I scratched my head and looked around for any close by boats that might be willing to help. Seeing none, I put one hand in the gills and grabbed the tail with the other - then jerked him up into the boat. Thank goodness he was good and worn out at that point!!
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

4reels wrote:
Srbenda wrote:nice cobia! So how did you get it in the boat with no net and no gaff?

Hand in mouth/ gills?

Well . . . . I scratched my head and looked around for any close by boats that might be willing to help. Seeing none, I put one hand in the gills and grabbed the tail with the other - then jerked him up into the boat. Thank goodness he was good and worn out at that point!!
BEAST MODE!!!!!!!!

Easy shoulder dislocation there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck of a first cobe, man - major congrats there.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

4reels wrote:Image

Landed my first cobia today. 42 inches. Quite a story that involved me dropping my net, my gaff, and then almost my rod in the water trying to fight and land this fish.

I decided to go out by myself early this am. 7 am meeting . . . check. Did that via phone somewhere around Port Leon in the boat. (It was a physician wellness committee meeting anyway-I’m thinking this IS the key to “wellness”). Then headed out to some near-shore reefs. Used the Sabiki to pick up some bait, then only had one bite all morning, but it was a good one!

I wish I had a GoPro that could have captured me running around the boat, knocking stuff overboard, then landing this fish with no net & no gaff!

That was an expensive fish, but dang it was fun!!

I'm glad to know Im not the only one that does conference calls by boat :-D , being as I have never caught a cobia I'd be happy with the bill. I'd agree that fish is definitely the key to wellness. Reminds me of one of the best trips I ever took while in grad school, I had 3 days off to write and edit my dissertation and I did it on the way to st marks with the computer in my buddys work truck.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Congrats, reminds me of the time I had two cobes hooked and no rod holder and all alone. (lost one and landed one)
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

good deal!