St Marks 7/17

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

St Marks 7/17

Post by onefishtwofish »

Took my partner's son (9) and my son in law fishing. My partner's husband was out of town and her son was jonesing to fish.

Was getting bait and broke the line on the cast net - three times! okay, dry rot. Would get a few each throw after mending the rope and half would swim out.
Got to spot and the dip net broke. Not fun getting the bait out by hand.
Sharks kept breaking off my SIL.
HOT!
No reds, but kept the young man entertained with a small black tip, a few sailcats, one sharpnose and one ray. He lost a few fish, one huge gar right at the boat (the only GOOD luck of the day). I kept teasing him telling him I knew his mom had packed a banana in his backpack.
He was a trooper and wanted to swim to end the day. Was going to run in to the Wakulla, but the weather had other ideas. So we loaded the boat and stopped at Wakulla Springs on the way back and let him swim for a few minutes.

A pretty bad trip by our standards, but he had a blast, I did not let him get sunburned and he got to have a few tugs on the line.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
leonreno

Re: St Marks 7/17

Post by leonreno »

Sounds like a great day for a kid. Most kids are more excited about catching a small shark than they would be catching a 25” trout. Kudos for. I sunburn too, that’s a feat in itself.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Successful trip despite a few setbacks. Good job and thanks for the report.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Dry rotted rope and the dip net broke! :lol: That sounds like some of my luck, better tell the young man not to pack any more bananas! :wink:
Yours in the South
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

There's fish out there if you can stand the brutal heat.

I'd rather dive into that cool spring water and have a burger afterwards.