lightning question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

lightning question

Post by geofish »

So I spent the day breaking in the new motor on the Wahoo, trying to get in some offshore fishing, when I found myself running all over the bay dodging thundershowers. At one point I was at one of the Air Force towers, and found myself wondering -- Is this a good spot to be? I assume they have some kind of lightning rod protection or something, and they're way taller than me and my t-top. Or is this like a golfer getting hit by lightning standing under a tree? Anybody have knowledge or informed advice?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: lightning question

Post by procraftwes »

Where I'm from(ms gulf coast) when the storms kick up hard you head to the oil rigs for the exact reason.

any attempt to get near something taller than you is heading in the right direction IMO.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Geofish,

Not sure if that was you in the blue boat yesterday but if it was, I was the guy over on the Template. We headed back in about 2:30. Clear skies and flat seas and was able to run at 45 MPH most of the way back. There were big thunderheads formed over St. George and East of Lanark with lighting visible in both.
Got nasty about 4 miles South of the pass and by the time we got into the Bay, winds were howling, rain was coming down in sheets and the lightning was cracking (sounded like it was right on top of us). Got to the public boat ramp, tied off at the dock and took shelter. Gotta tell you, that was a scary experience.
geofish

Post by geofish »

The wahoo is white, so it sounds like there was at least one more of us out there. I skirted the edges but had to run way around one cell. Very choppy the last two miles. Glad we're back safe, and I'm headed back out this morning. Hopefully more fishing and less dodging.