Trolling for Kings

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Trolling for Kings

Post by Redbelly »

If going out of St Marks, what depth or general area would be good to troll for Kings? Like in this July heat?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Srbenda

Re: Trolling for Kings

Post by Srbenda »

I'm not an expert but 30+.
You can get some nice sized Spanish in 20+
All photos copyright @saverymill
4reels

Post by 4reels »

I’ve never trolled for kings in St. Marks. We had a lot of success early last summer trolling cigar minnows (on a triple hook set up under a duster) along the buoy line out of Mexico Beach. It’s only 20-30 ft. deep in that area (deeper in the channel). See attached pic of that exact area. I’ve always thought about trying that same thing along the 20-30 ft water around the Ochlockonee Schoals. Maybe a little deeper as water temps rise?

I’m sure someone on here has it dialed in for this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

During the summer most of the kings are in the 30' plus area (south of the shoals). Troll around artificial reefs like OAR and K tower and also any schools of bait you see that look like fish are harassing them. If you see a lot of Spanish try putting on a stretch 25 or 30. A lot of times the Spanish are eating the bait and the kings are below them eating the Spanish. For a close spot try around Buoy 24. I prefer catching bait there then either free line them while anchored or slow troll them around it. In the fall the kings move in closer. I've even caught them as close as the channel just south of the bird rack at SM but that is more of a late Oct or Nov thing. The biggest issue we have with trolling is all the floating grass which is why I like freelining bait more. As you get deeper the weeds will be less of a problem. Hope this helps. Oh and if you go out of Mashes Sands buoy 26 normally has several hanging around it.