Mangrove snapper

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

V20theellymay

Mangrove snapper

Post by V20theellymay »

Looking for some tips to get on some mAngrove snapper this month. Out of the hatch or Yankeetown any suggestions never caught one before have 21’ bay boat. And all needed gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leonreno

Re: Mangrove snapper

Post by leonreno »

#metoo
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I’ll find them was hoping someone might chime in a point me in the right direction lol

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm no expert but when I target mangroves I'll fish around the larger boats at dock, docks, and jetties. They're smart and easily spooked so I use a small hook hidden in live bait (usually shrimp) and the lightest fluorocarbon leader I feel comfortable with.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I used to catch them pretty regularly in the St. Marks River. Live shrimp, a small hook, and fluorocarbon leader did the trick.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I usually only use a 20lb fluro leader for most everything. I’m a bass fisherman by upbringing bored with lakes and trying to branch out.

bbb

Post by bbb »

The Mangrove has become my nemesis.

Think turkey hunting. Some days they just fall in your lap. Other days, they make you into a fool.

Use lots of chum. Most of the time you can get them about 10-20’ below the boat. Use 10’ of 15-20# fluoro. 1/4-1/8oz jig head. Chunk of cigar minnow. Toss back and Let the bait fall naturally to the bottom. Reel up and send it again.

5 weeks ago we went and caught 5. 3 weeks ago we caught 18, and kept 15. Thinking we had it figured out, last weekend we caught 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

Guess that’s fishing lol. How deep of water did you find them in. Heard they were spawning and were easier to trick under a full moon. (Seen it on fishing show lol)

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Muttons are the only other snapper more cunning than mangroves. But pound for pound, mangroves put up an impressive fight and are one of the tastiest fish in the Gulf, IMO.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I cut and pasted this from the Fwc website. It is illegal to use jigheads ( or any non circle hook) for snapper in Florida when using natural ( live or dead bait)..... bbb doesn’t need any more trouble with Mr Green Jeans. :lol:

In Florida, it is required to use non-offset circle hooks when fishing with natural bait for reef fish in Gulf waters. Non-offset circle hooks are those in which the end of the hook is inline with the shank of the hook - rather than being angled sideways, away from the shank.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

bbb wrote:The Mangrove has become my nemesis.

Think turkey hunting. Some days they just fall in your lap. Other days, they make you into a fool.

Use lots of chum. Most of the time you can get them about 10-20’ below the boat. Use 10’ of 15-20# fluoro. 1/4-1/8oz jig head. Chunk of cigar minnow. Toss back and Let the bait fall naturally to the bottom. Reel up and send it again.

5 weeks ago we went and caught 5. 3 weeks ago we caught 18, and kept 15. Thinking we had it figured out, last weekend we caught 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday.
What are the fish on the left? ( to your right :lol: )
All photos copyright @saverymill
bbb

Mangrove snapper

Post by bbb »

V20theellymay wrote:Guess that’s fishing lol. How deep of water did you find them in. Heard they were spawning and were easier to trick under a full moon. (Seen it on fishing show lol)

80’ of water out of Mexico Beach.

Salty Gator wrote:I cut and pasted this from the Fwc website. It is illegal to use jigheads ( or any non circle hook) for snapper in Florida when using natural ( live or dead bait)..... bbb doesn’t need any more trouble with Mr Green Jeans. :lol:
Great. Every time I fish I seem to break some law. Bowling would be so much easier.
Srbenda wrote:
What are the fish on the left? ( to your right :lol: )
Almaco Jacks

My next outing chasing Mangroves will be around the full moon and i hope to make it a evening/night trip.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Salty Gator wrote:I cut and pasted this from the Fwc website. It is illegal to use jigheads ( or any non circle hook) for snapper in Florida when using natural ( live or dead bait)..... bbb doesn’t need any more trouble with Mr Green Jeans. :lol:

In Florida, it is required to use non-offset circle hooks when fishing with natural bait for reef fish in Gulf waters. Non-offset circle hooks are those in which the end of the hook is inline with the shank of the hook - rather than being angled sideways, away from the shank.

I ordered some circle hook jig heads from the link below (company is located in Pensacola), have not tried them yet but looked pretty nice and takes away Mr Greenjeans aspect if you want to use a jighead for reef fish. I like the small business aspect as well as the ability to pick colors/sizes and they shipped a little faster than expected too:D They have tons of options other than circle hook jigs of you are into custom jigs. No affiliation other than I ordered from them.

Circle hook jigs
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:
V20theellymay wrote:Guess that’s fishing lol. How deep of water did you find them in. Heard they were spawning and were easier to trick under a full moon. (Seen it on fishing show lol)

80’ of water out of Mexico Beach.

Great. Every time I fish I seem to break some law. Bowling would be so much easier.

Just tell the man that Capt Rick Murphy told you do it with hookup jigs for yellowtail on the Florida fishing report :lol:
Last edited by Salty Gator on August 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I was thinking of tryin some full moon night fishing. Not sure I should be running far enough offshore to get to 80’ in my little bay boat though lol at least not alone anyway. I stay to stay around 30 or less miles from shore.