Apalachee Bay Aug 24-25

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Apalachee Bay Aug 24-25

Post by Srbenda »

We fished both days this weekend, after missing out the entire previous weekend due to the poor weather.

Saturdays weather was pretty nice, slick calm, clear, and pretty hot. We planned on going far offshore, but due to some issues with my Garmin bottom machine, we had no sonar. So we worked a few closer in spots that we knew by the chart. We saw lots of bait near the surface, but no evidence of much of it being harassed by larger fish. We threw lots of spoons and jerkbaits at the bait, but with little sucess besides a single spanish mackeral and some ladyfish.

Maybe I've got the wrong lure, but we tried small spoons, bigger spoons, 5" jerk baits, paddletails, etc. The spanish we did catch was on a white Zoom jerkbait.

Nonetheless, the water was beautiful and calm.

We picked up some birthday balloons that were probably 6 miles offshore, and saved multiple sea turtles, porpoises and mermaids.

Sunday, we took some kids tubing, and then tried fishing inshore. We ended up with a few trout, black sea bass, and a shark for our efforts. I was really hoping for flounder, and worked some bottom lures for some time, but with no success.

It started off as a windy day, but calmed down as the day went on.

We hit the sandbar for a little R&R, and tossed out a few small bait chunks to the pinfish there. Quickly a swarm of pinfish showed up, followed by three big catfish. That might be a good way to get bait with a castnet, instead of sabiki rigs.

We stopped at Mafia Pizza on the way home and enjoyed a delicious Calzone. The food and service are great there, and it's well worth the stop.

All photos copyright @saverymill
FishWithChris

Re: Apalachee Bay Aug 24-25

Post by FishWithChris »

Nice! I love throwing the smaller 3/8 - 1/2oz gotchas into bait schools. When running offshore that is always my go-to run-and-gun tosser; more erratic in action and the hook up rate is higher for me. Use heavier leader or light wire between leader and lure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report, looks nice
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Looks like fun despite the slower bite. Thanks for posting.

Where is Mafia Pizza? That calzone looks tasty.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Looks like fun despite the slower bite. Thanks for posting.

Where is Mafia Pizza? That calzone looks tasty.
Historic Monticello, Florida...

..and a bargain at $6.50 apiece!
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

OK, thanks. Will have to check it out. There aren't many, but the eateries in Monticello have good food. I drove through there late last night returning from Virginia Beach (long day). They'd already rolled the sidewalks up, though. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat