St Marks or St Teresa Wade fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jss12121

St Marks or St Teresa Wade fishing

Post by jss12121 »

I'm a FSU student with some experience wading the Port Saint Joe area. I would love to bend the rod this weekend without driving out there. For someone relatively new to the local area I would love some advice on St Teresa vs St Marks on where I should go try to catch some reds. Thanks!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks or St Teresa Wade fishing

Post by Salty Gator »

With the nasty e ne wind that is predicted, you may want to try alligator harbor. You may have more relief there than st Theresa or st marks. Or see about renting a kayak and that opens up a lot more options. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

If you do not mind getting muddy and hiking a good ways, there are up to five tidal creeks east of the St Marks lighthouse that all hold fish at low tide. Some folks kayak to them from the bay; I prefer to hike/bike along the levees, then wade them towards the bay. They are too dangerous to wade at high tide (alligators), but high tide offers bank fishing from Deep Creek levee. The St Marks HQ office has nice maps that show levees & their proximity to creeks. It took me 10 years to learn the tidal creeks, but once you get familiar with them, they are great producers.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Another vote for Alligator Harbor. The north shoreline either side of the sand ramp (across from the clam leases) is hard bottom and good spots for reds. Tote a couple Aqua Dream spoons and fire away.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Tallyfins

Post by Tallyfins »

So the forecast I saw on windy.com for St Marks was winds 10-20 kts for tomorrow am and then alligator harbor it says 14-23kts. I haven't been to Alligator Harbor to fish (via kayak) before, so I will defer to you guys. Do you think I should fish Alligator Harbor tomorrow over St. Marks Lighthouse area? If so, I'm hoping I can find those nice hard bottom spots you mentioned!

Thanks, TF
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Tallyfins wrote:So the forecast I saw on windy.com for St Marks was winds 10-20 kts for tomorrow am and then alligator harbor it says 14-23kts. I haven't been to Alligator Harbor to fish (via kayak) before, so I will defer to you guys. Do you think I should fish Alligator Harbor tomorrow over St. Marks Lighthouse area? If so, I'm hoping I can find those nice hard bottom spots you mentioned!

Thanks, TF
It is also important to pay attention to the wind direction. I like the windy app because it has a map and it is easier to visualize where the protected areas are
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

GaryDroze wrote:If you do not mind getting muddy and hiking a good ways, there are up to five tidal creeks east of the St Marks lighthouse that all hold fish at low tide. Some folks kayak to them from the bay; I prefer to hike/bike along the levees, then wade them towards the bay. They are too dangerous to wade at high tide (alligators), but high tide offers bank fishing from Deep Creek levee. The St Marks HQ office has nice maps that show levees & their proximity to creeks. It took me 10 years to learn the tidal creeks, but once you get familiar with them, they are great producers.
Every year it's getting more and more crowded in those spots during low tide. The last several times I've tried to fish a few of my favorite low tide spots (by boat), kayakers and wade fishermen were already there. 20, 10 and even 5 years ago it was rare to see anyone back there. Guess a lot of people know about it now!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

tailwaters wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:If you do not mind getting muddy and hiking a good ways, there are up to five tidal creeks east of the St Marks lighthouse that all hold fish at low tide. Some folks kayak to them from the bay; I prefer to hike/bike along the levees, then wade them towards the bay. They are too dangerous to wade at high tide (alligators), but high tide offers bank fishing from Deep Creek levee. The St Marks HQ office has nice maps that show levees & their proximity to creeks. It took me 10 years to learn the tidal creeks, but once you get familiar with them, they are great producers.
Every year it's getting more and more crowded in those spots during low tide. The last several times I've tried to fish a few of my favorite low tide spots (by boat), kayakers and wade fishermen were already there. 20, 10 and even 5 years ago it was rare to see anyone back there. Guess a lot of people know about it now![/quote
Last edited by Salty Gator on September 20th, 2019, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

tailwaters wrote:
Every year it's getting more and more crowded in those spots during low tide. The last several times I've tried to fish a few of my favorite low tide spots (by boat), kayakers and wade fishermen were already there. 20, 10 and even 5 years ago it was rare to see anyone back there. Guess a lot of people know about it now!
Those tidal creeks get a lot of attention on this site. And we know the best way to ruin a spot is to put it on the internet. Just sayin
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I still rarely see folks at some of my favorite low tide spots that require a lot of work for waders or kayakers to reach, which is why I don't mind posting about them. For example, just to start wading Deep Creek requires a 3 mile levee hike, one way. Kayaking there from Lighthouse Road would take two hours under perfect conditions. And the Econfina tidal creeks I've written about are even harder to reach from shore at low tide.

Admittedly, Stoney Bayou now has lots of kayakers/waders. But there's tons of water in Stoney that still holds way more fish than anglers, if you are willing to keep pushing into all those side creeks.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

General locations are fine, but when cyber scouters that aren’t even part of this site read things like “ stony bayou is more redfish than water” or horn creek is a seafood market. It will get crowded. When we go to stony at low tide in a boat, we are kinda stuck there until the tide comes back. If it is crowded we turn around not to disturb them. We we never get to the feeder creek. Gary, you are one of the best and most generous fishermen out there, and have helped me personally. I encourage you to tell any friend , student or church members anything you want. Or send a PM, But please please please leave specific locations off the internet please. Some of fun is finding it in your own
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Point taken. Accordingly, I will not reveal the specific creek trough east of the lighthouse where today at 4pm a big school of hungry mid-slot reds was trapped in 18 inches of water at dead low tide. They were sitting ducks that I challenge folks to find for themselves. Took me years of hardcore wading to discover that hole. Hint: you will need an airboat or a lot of aerobic fitness to get there.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thank you Gary, I really appreciate it. I’m glad you got on em.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

SG, that was a very well written explanation of how site-specific fishing reports can hurt your fishing and often other too.

And Gary, we love you man. :thumbup:

Silverking and I were both sightfishing some nice reds yesterday in slightly different locations. "West of the Lighthouse". :smt004
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

GaryDroze wrote:Point taken. Accordingly, I will not reveal the specific creek trough east of the lighthouse where today at 4pm a big school of hungry mid-slot reds was trapped in 18 inches of water at dead low tide. They were sitting ducks that I challenge folks to find for themselves. Took me years of hardcore wading to discover that hole. Hint: you will need an airboat or a lot of aerobic fitness to get there.
I need to go hike-fishing with you.
I'll keep up. :wink:
All photos copyright @saverymill