Fishing Apalachee Bay at Night

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Fishing Apalachee Bay at Night

Post by John21:6 »

My work schedule is preventing me from fishing during the day, so I'm thinking about fishing in Apalachee Bay, inshore or slightly offshore, in the evenings or at night. How's the fishing at night? Are certain species of fish more or less likely to bite after dark? Are there any particular techniques that are useful after dark? Is it reasonably safe on the water or are there particular dangers to be aware of?

Thanks.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing Apalachee Bay at Night

Post by Rainman »

Evening and night can be fantastic, especially when the days are hot. I generally will anchor and throw live bait at night vs floating the flats or trying to troll motor a shoreline. Toss the cast net in the lighthouse channel and then go pick a bar at the st marks mouth and anchor up. Same fish biting as the day time. Try to pick a night with some moon light and you'll have more light then you think. Stay away from windy nights. Just not worth it. Use your phone google maps or your GPS to make sure you have a path to run the boat to and from the launch. Bring a bright flash light to see the channel markers. Otherwise just take it slow and it can be productive and fun time.
STMU

Post by STMU »

All the fish go to sleep at night, plus...that is when all the sea monsters come out! Don't bother, its terrible...you will catch nothing...and your boat could get eatin by sea creatures!

But...if you do...make sure all your lights work and you are paying attention. My dad was fishing off the bow at night without lights. Another boat without lights came around the corner and ran right over him. Put him in the hospital for many months, but he survived. Not worth going into details, and obviously both parties were at fault. So... be as prepared as you can be and watch out for those who aren't!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Some of my best trips have been after dark out of st marks, make sure you have gps and lights and you'll be fine. Coming out of the rock garden after dark to make the run up the river will not be forgettable thats for sure. Make sure you take a spotlight for the channel markers, that channel is not fun with just the nav lights on a boat, it makes for a rather slow return to shell island after dark.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

The Kraken only feeds at night.

kraken.jpg
Good Luck ! He loves gulp !
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

On any average day (with good weather) there are dozens of highly experienced small boat captains fishing on the Gulf coast. However, if you look out there at night none of those same experienced captains are out fishing. (or nearly none)

That's because small boats with no radar, no spotlights, and limited crew to stand watch don't have any business out at night.

In my humble opinion. Others will vary. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
rickc

Post by rickc »

Fun to shine a.light across shallow.water.at.noght. mullet will.jump right in the boat. Flounder gigging around.ths bars especially now as the water cools off can be very productive.

Properly prepared a night on the flats.can be a great.experience. a different world out there after dark.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I will try it sometime when I feel like I've accomplished all I want and it is OK for me to die a violent death. Note that I am a wading angler and the apex species go on the feed at night in Apalachee Bay.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Thank you all for your comments and especially the warnings about Krakens and other sea monsters.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We’ve done it inshore a couple of times and offshore a few times. It can be a lot of fun and much less hot. It’s nice having the whole place to yourself. We’ve had very successful nights and a couple of duds. Go slow, be careful
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Running at night takes two people. And the guy with the spotlight needs to know what he is doing. I grew up duck hunting so am very adept at running at night. Have run out of Ecofina at night with no problems. I will say all that sawgrass looks the same with a spotlight. Very hard to see turns and cut along the grassline. :o
geofish

Post by geofish »

I've thought about running out before sundown, anchoring by one of the towers, fishing all night and thru the dawn before heading back in. Are the Kraken even nastier offshore?
But seriously, would that be a bad idea? Anybody tried it?
rickc

Post by rickc »

The ultimate answer

FLIR
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I've thought about it but ultimately I enjoy being home or at a bar at night.

Also can't seem to find anyone willing to go(understandable) and I don't like fishing solo as much anymore.

I think a underwater light would be a good idea. Lets everyone know where you are better than just anchor lights, attracts fish/bait, and wont blind anyone.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

geofish wrote:I've thought about running out before sundown, anchoring by one of the towers, fishing all night and thru the dawn before heading back in. Are the Kraken even nastier offshore?
But seriously, would that be a bad idea? Anybody tried it?
Like K Tower?

I'd want to be in a pretty big boat with some weather protection to do that, or have a really solid weather forecast.
All photos copyright @saverymill