New trout rules

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

New trout rules

Post by Juan »

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/263827f :smt011
With the FWC approval, looks like it's going to be law soon.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: New trout rules

Post by DEMON »

At least the commission has listened to public input this time regarding the Northwest Zone split. It's a shame that the public had to inform the commissioners that the two "new" zones were very different from each other when it comes to trout habitat. They should already know this.

What is even more disturbing is that the Staff admitted that they knew the difference in habitat and that the trout are genetically different in the 2 zones Why hadn't the staff already informed the Commissioners of these facts. Isn't that part of their job?

Pathetic!!!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

FWC Approves the Trout Changes based on hokey science and skewed data:

For immediate release: Oct. 2, 2019
Suggested Tweet: Spotted #seatrout draft rule changes approved by @MyFWC : https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/263827f #Florida #Fishing #FWC2019
FWC approves draft changes to spotted seatrout rules
At its meeting in Cape Canaveral, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved several draft rule changes for spotted seatrout. Based on public comment at the meeting, the Commission also directed staff to continue considering public input and update the proposal as needed prior to bringing this back at a future meeting for final approval.
Approved draft changes include:
• Splitting the Northwest spotted seatrout management zone into two separate zones including the Western Panhandle (Escambia County through most of Gulf County, not including Indian Pass/Indian Lagoon) and the Big Bend (Franklin County, plus Indian Lagoon, through Fred Howard Park Causeway in Pinellas County).
• Moving the boundary between the southern management zones to create the newly-renamed South Florida zone (Fred Howard Park Causeway in Pinellas County near the Pasco County line through Broward County) and Central East zone (Palm Beach through Volusia counties).
• Reducing bag limits
o Western Panhandle: five to three fish
o Big Bend: five to four fish
o South Florida: four to three fish
o Central East: four to two fish
o Northeast: six to five fish
• Modifying the recreational slot size limit from 15-to-20 inches to 15-to-19 inches total length.
• Allowing one seatrout over 19 inches per vessel (currently, per harvester).
• Changing the current daily commercial limits to 50 per harvester and 100 per vessel.
• Prohibiting captain and crew from keeping a bag limit on a for-hire trip.
• Re-establishing the February recreational closure in the Western Panhandle zone and the November-December recreational closure in the Central East zone.
Staff will bring a final proposal to a future Commission meeting that will incorporate public feedback gathered at today’s meeting and through other input gathering processes.
Provide online comments about these draft changes at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

So, in short...these rule changes are coming??? If so, when will they take effect ?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Staff will bring a final proposal to a future Commission meeting that will incorporate public feedback gathered at today’s meeting and through other input gathering processes.

Provide online comments about these draft changes at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments."

Once the final rules are approved, the FWC typically has them go into effect on January 1 or July 1 to avoid confusion.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Yeah they really listen and are doing a great job of protecting the big trout :lol: No closure for the Big Bend zone :smt011
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The squeaky wheels get the grease. I know several regional guides pushed back against any changes to the status quo.

Wonder how many reading this thread attended a workshop or submitted comments?

Personally, I'd like to see at least one winter month closure in the Big Bend. After living and fishing for trout in Pensacola for several years, I know the coastal rivers there are less numerous and don't concentrate the fish like the Aucilla, St. Marks, Steinhatchee, etc. do. Pensacola, Escambia and Choctawhatchee Bays are very deep in places, which also provide a winter sanctuary for larger sow trout.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Your right SK. I submitted comments a couple of times as did several other people I know. Follow the money and you'll find out who made these dissensions ,,,they are scared to death Florida is going to lose a dollar during those months... I'm sure the guides along with the hotel and other business owners did push back :wink:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I don't trout fish much in Feb. anyway, so I would be OK with it being closed then. It sounds like most guys that do fish then might not get to keep much if they change the size limit down to 19''. Lots of big sows over 20'' out there then.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I had a conflict with the workshop date, but I submitted comments a couple times as well. Some are being considered while others are not. Can't have everything but my philosophy is the Commission should always err on the side of the resource and conservation.

It's hard for me to comprehend the outlook mentality of losing a few bucks in the short term. If stocks are overfished and collapse, visiting anglers are going to go elsewhere and then the motels, restaurants and guides are really going to be hurting. Let the brood stock rebound to healthy levels and everyone benefits.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

silverking wrote:I had a conflict with the workshop date, but I submitted comments a couple times as well. Some are being considered while others are not. Can't have everything but my philosophy is the Commission should always err on the side of the resource and conservation.

It's hard for me to comprehend the outlook mentality of losing a few bucks in the short term. If stocks are overfished and collapse, visiting anglers are going to go elsewhere and then the motels, restaurants and guides are really going to be hurting. Let the brood stock rebound to healthy levels and everyone benefits.
My only issue is that above a 25% SPR is considered healthy and the current 35% was just made up, personally I believe that the scale should have been slid below 15in and keep the limit at 5 while removing some of the 20+ fish.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:I had a conflict with the workshop date, but I submitted comments a couple times as well. Some are being considered while others are not. Can't have everything but my philosophy is the Commission should always err on the side of the resource and conservation.

Strong agreement.
All photos copyright @saverymill
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

After more than a few February trips, I wonder if leaving it at 5 all year and closing it in Jan and Feb would have had the same effect on the numbers. I recall one day a few years back when you could walk from boat to boat on the Aucilla and everyone was catching. When a guy at the ramp asked me if we had limited, I said I did not usually keep trout and he looked at me like I was on crack.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I'm with you onefish I think at least the February closure would increase numbers again.there are quite a captains I know of for it again and some former capt .the limits I believe could remain the same the rest of the year with the winter closure again.ive fished our area pretty heavy since they opened it year round and I know the numbers of big fish schools have went down since then.im not saying we still don't have them because I know on 3 different tournament days I bet we threw back over 100 trout over 20 in those days alone.
Jsisson

Post by Jsisson »

Replenish ? When the last time they have increased the limits? Big bend fish is in great shape and has been for a while.
With no winter months closed. And 19in max. Be a lot of dead sows
After being gut hooked off a live shrimp in deep water.
Then the whole only one 19 in fish per boat? Wow
My father took him to the big bend when is was 7. 54 now
Looking at Mobile Alabama. Same drive 425 miles. Heard some
Good thing about it.