TM help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mblambert

TM help

Post by mblambert »

I’m pondering which trolling motor to put on our new boat, a 247 Sportsman. I believe I’m sold on 112lb/36v, however I’m contemplating the shaft length and also which model to choose. Can anyone can share about their personal experience with the auto stow/deploy system on the Ulterra. I have heard that model can be finicky. I generally subscribe to “the fewer parts the better school” of thought, but thought it worth the ask. Many thanks for your insights!
edif

Re: TM help

Post by edif »

I have both of the above mentioned units if you would like to talk about them message me and we can talk..i am not a very fast typist lol
Nopatients

Post by Nopatients »

I have the auto stow and deploy on a robalo 246 a very similar boat to the sportsman in size and ride (a friend that a fish with has one and we have compared them on the water) I haven't had a problem with the auto stow and deploy feature on mine yet it has come in handy ALOT I would for sure go with that size motor and I would go w/ the 72" shaft as well as plan on getting a ram mount brave to keep the motor from slapping the deck... I put 3x31 series AGM from sams club underneath and they have been great and a decent price for what you get feel free to hit me up with any questions.

I've used spotlock off shore and there have been days that 60" wouldn't have kept the motor in the water
Robalo 246
Cast and Blast 17
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

My advice is buy the largest one you can fit on your boat and store the batteries. That being said, I would also buy the extended warranty. I currently have four (4) Riptides sitting in the corner of my garage in pieces. As the trolling motors have become more computer board driven, they have become less reliable. Also, the manufacturers don't carry the replacement parts for very long time period any more.

In search of more dependability, I went back to the old style hand control, 24 volt, 80lb thrust Riptide and bought it from West Marine because they offered a longer extended warranty. So far (1 year old) I have no problems.

Steve Hobbs on this forum owns Skeeterbite Fishing Charters out of St. Marks. He has two of the 36 volt remote control Riptides he uses on a 24' Skeeter Bay so they can be swapped out when one needs repairs and he can continue guiding.

In my opinion, we fishermen are suckers for paying the outlandish prices asked for these motors and not insisting on better reliability.

- Steve Stinson
Nopatients

Post by Nopatients »

I couldn't agree w/ Steve more for the cost of these motors they should be bullet proof and I do like the simplicity of a handcontrol but dang spotlock is nice
Robalo 246
Cast and Blast 17
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I've had my Ulterra for about two years now. (It's only the 24V - 60" shaft) IMO it's the best invention since toilet paper and certainly a back saver. I have had to change the trim belt once but that was super easy and about a $10 belt. Other than that, no issues at all.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I have had a Minn Kota Terrova for about two years also. It does not auto-deploy......but it's super easy to do.

I have had ZERO problems with it. That being said, I keep it inside, wash it with Salt-Away after every use, and generally baby it. I also don't fish offshore where you are likely to bury it in waves and beat the crap out of it on the way out and back.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

I have a 36 volt 84" Rhodan on a 23 Seacraft. I plan on never anchoring again if I can help it. It has been a trip changer for me. The ability to "walk" around a spot without having to pull an anchor is marvelous.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Wally - are the internal parts on the Rhodans made by either Minn Kota or Motor Guide? I considered a Rhodan prior to buying my most recent Minn Kota.
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Steve - I don't believe so, I haven't ever seen that mentioned. The were very nice to work with, I thought I was on the edge between 24 to 36 volt, and 72" to 84". They patiently answered all of my questions. There is a very long thread on Rhodan on TheHullTruth you should read if your considering one.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I have the Ulterra and love it. The spot lock is awesome but I think the best feature if your going to use it inshore is the trim. Being able to raise and lower the motor with a push of a button comes in real handy esp. when drifting or running in close in shallow water to avoid a rock or oyster bar. I can't count how many times I've saved the motor/prop from getting beat up. The bottom of my motor don't have a scratch on it. I will say these motors are very voltage sensitive. Just make sure all your connections are clean and tight and stay that way.

I've heard the Rhodan is better as for use on off shore boats.(spot lock) but they can't handle getting beat up in shallow water like a minnkota can.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have the MotorGuide Xi5 non-GPS model on my skiff. Other than a remote going bad and having to repaint, it's been trouble-free for me. Only using it in shallow water and rinse with fresh after every use. I did add a folding support arm to the shaft, which helps cut down on bouncing/vibration when running. I'll pull up the links to a couple and add later.

Rhodan has some military contracts, so their research is much more robust. A buddy had one several years ago and did have trouble with it, however. I've also fished with guides who have have trouble with the Ulterra while others swear by it.

The advice to go with more power and longer shafts is pertinent. Like outboards, better to have more and not push it than too little and a constant struggle.

Lowrance and Garmin have both introduced GPS model trolling motors within the last six months. They got rave reviews at the ICAST tackle show; haven't heard any field reports yet, but worth looking into before you make your purchase.

Agree with Steve and others that while they are a valuable tool, for the money they should be more durable than they are. It is an electric motor, though, and the recipe for electric and salt is never a lasting one, especially with computer diodes and transistors.
Last edited by silverking on October 15th, 2019, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Here are the two TM supports that I've used:
Stabilizer is the solid, one-piece unit. Can be made to fit any shaft. Stabilizer, 251-714-5022
IMG_0146.JPG

The other is the one I currently have installed. The folding leg makes it easier to release tension to extend the shaft from the cradle.
shallowwatersolutions.com
https://shallowwatersolutions.com/troll ... _arms_here
item#43
IMG_0244.JPG
Last edited by silverking on October 15th, 2019, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Thanks to Wally and others for the feedback. As you might have noticed, this subject has been a sore spot with me for several years.

Right now, I have what's left of a 4 year extended warranty on the motor I purchased last year. I will stick with this one and see how it goes. I looked into Rhodan's a year ago and decided to go with the simpler / older design motor I have now. This was mostly based on my discussions with Rick up in Attapulgus GA. He said after years of repairing Minn Kota's and Motor Guides, this was the most dependable motor he had found. He was also unable to order the computer boards and switches needed to repair any of my broken remote controlled motors mentioned earlier.

Interesting that Garmin and Lowrance have come out with their own. My fear is that these may be manufactured for them by either Minn Kota or Motor Guide. If that is the case, I doubt they will be any more durable.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Steve, pretty sure Lowrance and Garmin are manufacturing their own units. Both companies have extensive experience in GPS and marine electronics, as you know, and I think they saw the cash cow potential in the trolling motor segment.

Our mutual friend Chuck is the one who had an earlier version of the Rhodan, by the way. You may want to pick his brain about the exact problems he had.

Strong batteries seem to help troller performance, based on my experience. I bought an Odyssey for mine and it holds a charge (solar provided) all day. In fact, my battery level indicator has never gone below full charge. The Oydessy batteries ain't cheap either, but I'm going on 3+ years now without issue.