Why aren't ladyfish considered edible?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Why aren't ladyfish considered edible?

Post by GaryDroze »

The 'dillo dinner was years ago, and I still have all my appendages, so I guess I lucked out in the leprosy lottery. Only ate it because it committed suicide at my car's front bumper, yielding a clean kill a short drive from home. Kinda like pork, but way greasier.

Found a slough today where all the mudminnows are huge. I'm gonna see if it's possible to use a pickling recipe for them. Retiring next year on a teacher/coach pension, so every little bit helps.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Also tried eating a greater siren (a giant salamander) that I snagged in Lake Jackson. Bass love them. I don't.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

:o You da man. :thumbup: I'm still trying to work enough courage to try sea urchin, sea cucumber and even sail cat.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Juan wrote:I'm still trying to work enough courage to try sea urchin, sea cucumber and even sail cat.
Sail cat is the best tasting saltwater catfish. Sea urchin and cucumber are straight up delicacies! It's like you're not even trying! :D
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

StMarksAngler wrote:
Juan wrote:I'm still trying to work enough courage to try sea urchin, sea cucumber and even sail cat.
Sail cat is the best tasting saltwater catfish. Sea urchin and cucumber are straight up delicacies! It's like you're not even trying! :D
Sailcat is good.
I'll give a hard pass to sea urchin. Way too fishy for me.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Sailcat is a no-brainer. Eat one and you're hooked. As soon as you clean it, you'll notice how good the fillet looks. Not false advertising.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I’ve ate gar multiple times. They are hell to clean but they have two back straps that are good hot out of the grease.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:I’ve ate gar multiple times. They are hell to clean but they have two back straps that are good hot out of the grease.
Now that's brave.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Y’all are some brave folks trying some of the stuff listed here, especially armadillo. Interesting fact I read is 95% of people are immune to leprosy.

Don’t think I will be trying ladyfish anytime soon, doesn’t seem worth the effort. I give away the sail cats I catch but maybe this year I will keep one, I just hate cleaning catfish and they are so slimy.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Ya'll just keep throwing them lady fish back. Save them for me! I really like the paddy's made from them. The trick is to keep them cold. Fillet like any other fish, flip the fillets over skin down, scrape meat out with spoon. No bones, white clean meat.
Semper Fi