Fish finder advice needed

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

Fish finder advice needed

Post by spothogg »

I’ve narrowed my search down to either the Lowrance Elite-9 Ti Total Scan or the Garmin echoMAP 93 SV. If y’all had to choose between the two, which one would you buy assuming equal price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fish finder advice needed

Post by silverking »

Garmins are like Macs while Lowrance are the PC equivalent.

I have the EchoMap 63 SV and it has been a good unit for my needs (shallow operation, temperature readings and chart plotting).
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

That makes me want to buy the Garmin. I can’t stand windows based computers. Are map upgrades limited with the Garmin? I was told I can’t run a Navionics card in the Garmin.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Garmin is coming out with its own proprietary mapping system; good unit, but bad for compatibility.

Buy a Lowrance/Simrad (or Hummingbird) and slap in a Navionics GOLD/Platinum/bling + chip. Or upgrade and get a Florida Marine Tracks (if Lowrance/Simrad) and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Wow, those ISLA maps are expensive!

I have some serious concerns about the quality of the Lowrance and product support. I’ve read lots of negative user feedback of issues with their units with little to no factory support or decent customer service. The Garmin units appear to have a more satisfied customer base, but their maps are expensive and then there’s the compatibility issue. This lends credibility to silverking’s mac/PC analogy.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I switched from Garmin to Lowrance last year and I am not sure it was a good move.

The main feature I use of course is "FInd" or "Go To" Waypoint. My Garmin unit would draw a red line to the way point I entered and the boat end of that line would move with me as I traveled in the direction of the waypoint adjusting my distance and bearing as I move my boat.

My Lowrance unit draws that same red line, but the boat end stays where I was at the time I entered my search request. Also, I have no idea the bearing or distance from my current position to my requested waypoint.

I have tried many times to find a setting to correct this, but have been unable to do so. I have also had a couple others more familiar with lowrance products attempt the same to no avail.

In my opinion, Garmin is more user friendly, but Lowrance gives a better picture of what is beneath you. So if you are an offshore guy, maybe stick with Lowrance. Inshore, I would choose Garmin.

-Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've owned Lowrance and Humminbird in the past. Granted, that was years ago and both brands have made major improvements. But for ease of use, Garmin still is superior for me.

Garmin purchased Navionics and is integrating the cartography into its new charts. Do a search under Boating. I posted a couple of press releases that outline the details. The charts are not cheap, but none of them are.

I have heard a lot of glowing reviews for the FL Marine Tracks. Not positive, but don't believe their base maps are as detailed for our coast as they are for other areas of the state.

FYI, West Marine is having big Black Friday sales on electronics, including both brands you're considering.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Steve Stinson wrote:I switched from Garmin to Lowrance last year and I am not sure it was a good move.

The main feature I use of course is "FInd" or "Go To" Waypoint. My Garmin unit would draw a red line to the way point I entered and the boat end of that line would move with me as I traveled in the direction of the waypoint adjusting my distance and bearing as I move my boat.

My Lowrance unit draws that same red line, but the boat end stays where I was at the time I entered my search request. Also, I have no idea the bearing or distance from my current position to my requested waypoint.

I have tried many times to find a setting to correct this, but have been unable to do so. I have also had a couple others more familiar with lowrance products attempt the same to no avail.

In my opinion, Garmin is more user friendly, but Lowrance gives a better picture of what is beneath you. So if you are an offshore guy, maybe stick with Lowrance. Inshore, I would choose Garmin.

-Steve Stinson
Great feedback. Thanks, Steve!

guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I will add my 2 cents worth. I have a lowrance and can attest to their horrendous customer service. When I first purchased my unit 3 years ago it would not hold bottom. After working with support for a few weeks it was finally determined I needed to send the unit back for repair/replacement. 5 weeks later I received a new unit.

I am happy with the product and features and relative ease of use even though the processor is to slow at times and sometimes running 25-30 the map will not keep up. But keep in mind you may need support and I don't know about you but installing these things and running ducer cables can be a PIA.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Which charts show underwater obstructions best? Always have to putt around when operating east of Big Cove because of the pucker factor and limestone rocks. Use a Garmin 78sc handheld for now, but will upgrade at some point.
Also, am an inshore guy. Beyond depth and temp. , do you really need side scanning, chirp, etc?
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

guthooked wrote:I will add my 2 cents worth. I have a lowrance and can attest to their horrendous customer service. When I first purchased my unit 3 years ago it would not hold bottom. After working with support for a few weeks it was finally determined I needed to send the unit back for repair/replacement. 5 weeks later I received a new unit.

I am happy with the product and features and relative ease of use even though the processor is to slow at times and sometimes running 25-30 the map will not keep up. But keep in mind you may need support and I don't know about you but installing these things and running ducer cables can be a PIA.
Good to know, 'hooked, thanks for the feedback.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

eightwt wrote:Which charts show underwater obstructions best? Always have to putt around when operating east of Big Cove because of the pucker factor and limestone rocks. Use a Garmin 78sc handheld for now, but will upgrade at some point.
Also, am an inshore guy. Beyond depth and temp. , do you really need side scanning, chirp, etc?
I think side scan would be great for places like Lake Talquin for finding structure for crappie. And, maybe in local coastal rivers. I can't imagine it useful for inshore, but I fish fresh and inshore. As for who has the best charts? Seems like the ISLA charts are the best for inshore/nearshore obstruction detail, but at their charts cost almost as much as the units I'm looking to purchase and are not compatible with Garmin.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

silverking wrote:I've owned Lowrance and Humminbird in the past. Granted, that was years ago and both brands have made major improvements. But for ease of use, Garmin still is superior for me.

Garmin purchased Navionics and is integrating the cartography into its new charts. Do a search under Boating. I posted a couple of press releases that outline the details. The charts are not cheap, but none of them are.

I have heard a lot of glowing reviews for the FL Marine Tracks. Not positive, but don't believe their base maps are as detailed for our coast as they are for other areas of the state.

FYI, West Marine is having big Black Friday sales on electronics, including both brands you're considering.
Thanks for the info and the tip! :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You're welcome. Just heard from a professional installer who's rigging a boat for my former publisher who retired to Yankeetown.

FMT chips are going on sale for 20% off on Black Friday. Don't know any other details but believe it's through their site store.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

eightwt wrote:Which charts show underwater obstructions best? Always have to putt around when operating east of Big Cove because of the pucker factor and limestone rocks. Use a Garmin 78sc handheld for now, but will upgrade at some point.
Fmt is a satellite overlay like google. You may see some rocks but not necessarily all. It also depends greatly on the resolution and screen size( need at least 9” but 12 is better)... but what is has are tracks that have been run in a bay boat. So it’s a safe track. There aren’t many tracts for our area. None in the rock garden or any of the creeks. No stony bayou or deep creek, but maybe a good track out of aucilla and ecofina. Go to the fmt website and check it out. I really want to go in that direction, so probably lowrance or simrad for me
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven