Strangest catch.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Strangest catch.

Post by Juan »

What's the weirdest thing you've caught? Over the years, I've hung and pulled in a couple anchors, a couple rods and reels and many lures but I topped that yesterday while bass fishing the river. Caught a Boga Grip that looked like it had been on the bottom for a long time. Still can't figure out how but I'm going to buy a lottery ticket this week! I could never make myself spend over $100 on a grip so I have the imitation grips but now own a genuine 30 lb. Boga and can see why Bogas cost so much. That thing cleaned up and works like a new one.
Before
20191126_084127.jpg
After
20191126_114908.jpg
Oh yeah, I caught some bass too. I found the yearling bass schooled up and boated 16 along with a few stripes and hybrids. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Strangest catch.

Post by DixieReb »

Looks good. I bet that guy was mad that lost that. I found a Zebco rod and reel fishing a lake a while back, it cleaned up good.
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That’s great
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

That thing looks brand spankin' new. How'd you go about cleaning that thing up? To bring back to life the functionality is pretty remarkable; especially if its drop-scale is still accurate!

Happy early Christmas to you! :beer:

I've pulled up one conventional setup offshore at ODB before; but it wasn't worth a thing and was completely trashed. Put it in the dumpster at the ramp otw home.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Boga...there is no imitation. I'd recommend putting a float on the lanyard so you don't donate it back to the river. :wink: I had a redfish on one time and it thrashed and went to the bottom with the Boga holding it down. Fortunately we were in a shallow creek but it was a little chilly to be swimming. By the way, you can send Bogas in to the IGFA to be certified if you ever want to weigh a potential world record.

I hooked a big brass fitting off the fantail of the USS Lexington in Pensacola Bay one time. Who knows what all was in the water behind that ship. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa. Anyway, I took it to a local scrap yard and got enough to pay for my gas for the trip.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
geofish

Post by geofish »

Coupla months ago I pulled up a star rod with shimano spinning reel on the flats, not unlike one I had lost almost a year before. It had young barnacles and crusty stuff on it, but some CLR spray with a dishwashing sponge for the rod, and some wd-40 for the reel, and it looks and works almost like new.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Last Summer in Topsail NC. Looked away for a minute and lost a whole surf fishing rig to the Atlantic, long PCV rod holder and all. Actually thought a passerby took it, as it wasn't even cast into the water. Searched and searched and searched in the water with no luck, gave it up for lost, even though we stumbled on the rod holder in the surf.

It was kind of special as it belonged to my Dad.

Next day, back to fishing with one of the Grand-kids. We hooked something, and carefully pulled in the rig, hooked right through one of the eyes. Fate? It was incredible, and very lucky. Best thing I caught all week!

I'll post a pic if I can figure it out.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Here’s the picture my Dad was talking about..
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Lucky catch and great shot. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:Boga...there is no imitation. I'd recommend putting a float on the lanyard so you don't donate it back to the river. :wink: I had a redfish on one time and it thrashed and went to the bottom with the Boga holding it down. Fortunately we were in a shallow creek but it was a little chilly to be swimming. By the way, you can send Bogas in to the IGFA to be certified if you ever want to weigh a potential world record.

I hooked a big brass fitting off the fantail of the USS Lexington in Pensacola Bay one time. Who knows what all was in the water behind that ship. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa. Anyway, I took it to a local scrap yard and got enough to pay for my gas for the trip.
I boga lip hooked a big Cobia after I had missed with the gaff three times. Then it jerked the boga out of my hand and swam around with the float popping up while I chased it with the boat. Managed to hook the boga and boated the fish. BTW fish was my cousins and he was hollering the whole time. Thank god I didn’t lose the fish.

Bought a cobia net after that.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

2 bass on 1 lure is all I got that counts technically.

I once hooked a ginormous alligator that I thought was a log and it got hung on his back and he swam off grumbling lol! That’s about all there was to that story as the bream hook wasn’t quite strong enough to hook and hold him.

My old man got hung on a fish basket.

I guess I’m JUST such a GREAT fisherMAN that I catch fish on so many casts and never have the chance to hook into stuff on the bottom lol!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Inflight seagull. Strange fighting a bird while it's flying. Talk about drag screaming.
Semper Fi
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

I caught a boot once...luckily there wasnt a foot in it. That is awesome that it cleaned up so well.

What did you catch the strippers on? Im going to Apalachicola River in a few weeks and still havent caught one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Captainawesomepants wrote:What did you catch the strippers on? Im going to Apalachicola River in a few weeks and still havent caught one.
Green one and five-dollar bills, tucked into G-strings. :lol:
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

silverking wrote:
Captainawesomepants wrote:What did you catch the strippers on? Im going to Apalachicola River in a few weeks and still havent caught one.
Green one and five-dollar bills, tucked into G-strings. :lol:
I would probably end up saving money going that route instead of a boat, gas, gear, etc!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk