Budget Rod/reel options

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GusMccrae

Budget Rod/reel options

Post by GusMccrae »

A lot of info on the forum showing some really nice reels and custom rods. One day I hope to be at the point I can step up my level of investment. However, for now, I'm curious what luck y'all have had with combos closer to the $100 price point (maybe $120). Suggestions appreciated.

(I've fished Mitchell Avocets in the past with relative success. I know a lot of these reels are the same, just rebranded).
FishWithChris

Re: Budget Rod/reel options

Post by FishWithChris »

It depends on what type of fishing you're doing, but assuming you're inshore like the majority of us here... I'd point you in two separate directions:

A) One of these two combos from BPS:

Daiwa BG Combo in 3k size (139.99)

or

Penn Battle II Combo in 3k size (119.99)

B) Look on eBay for quality used fishing equipment; or maybe someone here has a couple of combos they're not actively using that they can offload at a fair price for you

Either way, just remember to give your gear a good spray down after every trip (and avoid dunking in the water) to maximize life. Many of us started on much cheaper equipment than you're looking at and were able to get them to last for years with regular (preventative) maintenance... myself for example.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

FishWithChris wrote:It depends on what type of fishing you're doing, but assuming you're inshore like the majority of us here... I'd point you in two separate directions:

A) One of these two combos from BPS:

Daiwa BG Combo in 3k size (139.99)

or

Penn Battle II Combo in 3k size (119.99)

B) Look on eBay for quality used fishing equipment; or maybe someone here has a couple of combos they're not actively using that they can offload at a fair price for you

Either way, just remember to give your gear a good spray down after every trip (and avoid dunking in the water) to maximize life. Many of us started on much cheaper equipment than you're looking at and were able to get them to last for years with regular (preventative) maintenance... myself for example.

I would be buying for trout/reds/convicts and the like
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I bought a nice $100 combo recently. It was a Pflueger President 3000 reel and a Ugly Stick rod.
It should work for almost anything you'd tangle with in the flats.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

This is all very helpful. Admittedly, I'm surprised to see the recommendations for the 3000 series reels. Just assumed everyone used larger.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

GusMccrae wrote:This is all very helpful. Admittedly, I'm surprised to see the recommendations for the 3000 series reels. Just assumed everyone used larger.
Nah, unless you're targeting tarpon, spooled with 15# or 20# braid you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Phleuger President is a good reel, I've fished one for several years and had little trouble with it. I wash mine down good after a day on the water, let it dry and spray it down with reel magic before using it again. It still looks new. :wink:
Yours in the South
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I have a couple loaner reels under $50 new and they catch fish just fine. Don't discount used either. They aren't stainless bearings but as long as I don't dunk them they hold up for years and years.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have been getting a lot of good input from Daiwa BG owners. Have only seen a couple in for repair, and those only needed a bearing or two.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I also have been using the Pfluger President reels with great success lately. A great budget reel. The BPS redfish rods are a good budget rod for the flats too.
STMU

Post by STMU »

I second the Pfluger Presidentals and Battle II's. I have four Pfluger that I use in freshwater and have another half a dozen Battle's (2,500 and 4,000) for salt. Those are actually the only reels I use now for inshore/freshwater. I did find that the Pflugers don't work well in salt, but I have 2 of them that never touched salt that and still work great at 10 years old. Personally, I don't see either of these as a step down in terms of investment. Unless you're fishing where the money is involved (tournament or guide), or going out 3 day's a week I think of the options folks mentioned are great. Even then, I still think these would work fine.

Issues can occur with any reel when they go through the abuse a boat and fishing provide, and sure, some of the pricier ones may be of better material or quality, but they are also only as good as the people who take care of them. I breakdown my reels at least once a year and service them, or more if something comes up. Still work great, without any major complaints!
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

A good 3000 series combo will work fine. I have 3000 and 4000 series Penn's mostly (pursuits, fierce, and battle) and all have worked well for me. The biggest difference in the 3000 and 4000's are mostly line capacity.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Another couple of votes for the Pfleuger President combo. About all us Williams ever use. Reels corrode a little in salt, but they still crank good, and well under $100.
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

After a pretty sorry couple of Penn Battle II's, I found these.
https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product ... -reel.html

They're 100 bucks on Amazon for the 4000 size(exact model is Z-40S) and have been absolutely bulletproof all year. They have a ratchet and a one way bearing anti-reverse and the drag disk pack uses both ends of the spool at the same time so you don't have to twist it nearly as much to adjust. No issues with any kind of water intrusion after a year's use, performs close to if not on par with a $250 Stradic. Not too bad looking to boot.

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Cant beat the BG for the money