Ochlockonee River Navigation

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

keywest219

Ochlockonee River Navigation

Post by keywest219 »

Hi guys,

New to the area and wondering if a 21' deep v with a 14" draft will make it from the Ochlokonee River State Park ramp down to the bay? Is there anything to watch out for such as submerged obstructions or issues with water depth at low tide, etc.? Thanks for the help!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Ochlockonee River Navigation

Post by silverking »

With the winter lows the basin at the ramp and certain portions of the run could get sketchy with your boat. There are a few humps in the river itself between the park and where it opens into the bay. Also some rocks in the Dead River and shallow spots. You're probably better to take the fork after you come around the island and then head east. That will dump you out into the upper part of the river and you can follow the channel markers from there. Don't stray outside though, as there are multiple bars near the mouth.

Look at some charts or Google Maps beforehand, keep a close eye on the chart plotter and take it easy. Unless it's extreme tidal swings (new or full moon), you're probably OK with the course I suggested.

That area is typically a good winter spot with normal cooler temperatures. It hasn't been normal by any means lately. The recent rains and more expected tomorrow will push trout especially closer to the Gulf.

Good luck and post up your results.

FYI, there's is a boating section here in the forum. You might do a search there to see if there are any other related posts. I seem to recall a couple in the past year.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

If my trawler can make it you should have no problem.

The mouth of the river to the ochlockonee bay bridge can be the trickiest part and i've gotten the boat pictured stuck there many times. It drafts 3-4' and i've had it north of the state park many times(used to keep it in ochlockonee bay).

Here's the trawler at the state park.
keywest219

Post by keywest219 »

Thanks for the reply’s guys.