Spring Creek 10-14-2020

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TheReelPapaSquat

Spring Creek 10-14-2020

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Father in law and I launched from Spring Creek yesterday around 9am. We had a low tide at 7, so we enjoyed an extra cup of coffee and took our time heading out. The weather was beautiful. The wind was just enough to create a nice ripple on the water. We fished the rising tide with plenty of water in the creeks and around the bars. He was throwing soft plastics in a myriad of color combos with and without a thunder. I was fishing live shrimp under a Cajun thunder. I had a couple lady fish strike, jump, and sling the hook, but it was quiet until almost noon. Just us moving from home to hole, bar to bar. Finally, a double header. Two reds, just made the cut and were promptly invited to our next fry. Then, all quiet. We moved out to 4 and then 6 foot of water. No sooner had we stopped we saw a couple HUGE fish slamming bait behind the boat. I couldn't tell what they were, but line started screaming off my reel. After a minute or so my line went slack. I reeled in my cajun thunder that was completely destroyed. It was bent and mangled. Whatever took it, had engulfed and crushed it. As we marveled at this situation, father in laws reel screamed as something nearly ripped the rod out of his hands. The fight was on. Give and take. As he brought it slowly to the boat we saw the culprits. Big reds. He landed a 36 inch redfish. I made sure to completely revive it beside the boat and it thanked me with a splash in the face by its massive tail as it swam away. We caught a couple short trout after that, but the bite was very slow. We headed back in around 2:30. Great weather, but still waiting on the fall cool down. Great day for sure.
Big Tim

Re: Spring Creek 10-14-2020

Post by Big Tim »

Nice! Big bulls will make your heart race on light tackle. Hope to be down in a couple of weeks and land some trout and reds. If possible and I am still there Halloween Saturday I may try offshore for a snapper. This report just fires me up more.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice report!! Those bull reds are always a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

A good day! What was the water color? We went out of ecofina tuesday and it was black coffee over to rock island
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Great report! I plan to go out tomorrow. Hopefully all the way to Rock Island.
TheReelPapaSquat

Redbelly wrote:A good day! What was the water color? We went out of ecofina tuesday and it was black coffee over to rock island
The water seemed to be clearer than previous in some spots. We did run into some floating grass deeper and had to move in some.
TheReelPapaSquat

ropeman wrote:Great report! I plan to go out tomorrow. Hopefully all the way to Rock Island.
Good luck, hope y'all tear um up
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I can’t believe this place isn’t talked about more. With all that spring water going straight to the ocean without very far to go, I would think that flats fish of all kinds cram in there like sardines in the winter, and stay plentiful enough otherwise except for maybe in the hottest months. Then in the hottest months surely there are freshwater fish and mullet no? I’ve never been there but have heard of it and somebody I know just posted pics on FB.
Booyah77

Post by Booyah77 »

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

BloodyChamp wrote:I can’t believe this place isn’t talked about more. With all that spring water going straight to the ocean without very far to go, I would think that flats fish of all kinds cram in there like sardines in the winter, and stay plentiful enough otherwise except for maybe in the hottest months. Then in the hottest months surely there are freshwater fish and mullet no? I’ve never been there but have heard of it and somebody I know just posted pics on FB.
Everytime I've fished it, it has been dark, it doesn't look like it has near the spring water you'd think.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Did this thread somehow get revived from back in 2020??
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Yep. I searched Big Spring Creek after my friend posted pics. Their pics were crystal clear btw.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The reason it’s not talked about more is it’s really not that special. No better than any other area.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven