Dick's Sporting Goods coming to Parkway

This is where you will find the latest info about changes or updates to the message board.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEMON
Site Sponsor

Dick's Sporting Goods coming to Parkway

Post by DEMON »

In today's Tallahassee Democrat: "Parkway gets Dick's Sporting Goods Store". Wow, has Tallahassee suddenly become an outdoor mecca?. Way to play follow the leaders Dick's. Probably too little too late. Gotta wonder if they are paying their market research team too much. From the visits I've made to several of their current locations, they are wasting their time trying to complete with Academy & Bass Pro. Hopefully they won't dilute the customer base of the others to the point that none of them will survive. Hurry up and open Bass Pro.
reelbad

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods coming to Parkway

Post by reelbad »

As stated before, Shop local private owned business when you can. The more we as sportsman support the mega stores the chance for our local homegrown business will start to fade away. I will go visit the stores just like everone else but I prefer to spend my money with Kevins and South Ga Outdoors when I can. Please, price shop and you will see that there is not a big difference in most of the things we buy like fishing tackel and lures. What I do like about the big stores is that they will provide employement to those that want to work from our area.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

[quote="reelbad"]As stated before, Shop local private owned business when you can.

Absolutely whenever possible. I do this with Parkway Marine, Metal Fabrication of Tallahassee, Gulf Coast Lumber and others. When it comes to clothing & tackle in this area I seem to have trouble finding the merchandise that I like at prices that I can afford. Don't know about So. Ga. stores (not really local for me) but the local outfitters in Tally don't have the stuff that I use. I have a teenager that outgrows or breaks everything within a year. I can't afford $200.00 rod/reels or $150.00 camo coats or boots. I need middle of the road or lower end items at an affordable price. That is where the big box stores fit the bill. So the locals need to step it up if they want my business. I'll be more than happy to give it to them but they need to stock what I need.
bman

Post by bman »

DEMON wrote: Don't know about So. Ga. stores (not really local for me) but the local outfitters in Tally don't have the stuff that I use. I have a teenager that outgrows or breaks everything within a year. I can't afford $200.00 rod/reels or $150.00 camo coats or boots. I need middle of the road or lower end items at an affordable price. That is where the big box stores fit the bill. So the locals need to step it up if they want my business. I'll be more than happy to give it to them but they need to stock what I need.
You need to go back in Kevins- they have stuff at every price point.
I know for a fact that the fishing tackle is priced against the big box stores.
Sure, they have 200 rods but they have the inexpensive stuff too...
And the staff is a heck of a lot more nice :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

So far, the big box sporting goods stores here in Tallahassee are a big disappointment, at least regarding fishing/boating equipment. Sport's Authority and Academy don't have many items I would like to purchase, and for those items of interest the price is as high as a local store like Kevin's. I have shopped in Dick's in other locations, and it is virtually the same. Mostly low to a few medium grade items at all three chains, and for brands like Shimano that are price controlled no price advantage at all, no matter what the model line. Bass Pro, at least at some locations, does carry their own line of products that I have purchased and been pleased with my choice. However, unless it is a close out item the price for moderate-premium reels/rods is identical, but the service at Kevin's is far superior. The weird outlier is West Marine, charging way more for identical items than anyone else I have found. Their Tallahassee staff are courteous and helpful but the prices are sky high.

So, I still will be going local for most everything, but Bass Pro will certainly get a close look when they open. Dick's? Not too much.

In Tallahassee, Kevin's is still the best, but it is not a "full service" hard core Bait and Tackle shop like my Dad's used to be. Too much fru fru clothing for the Plantation crowd, $500 watches, $150 shirts, and $250 boots plus no live bait or cane poles. Evidently there is not a market for a "real" Bait and Tackle here in Tally, at least in a stand alone form.

But it is all fun and I am glad to have some choices.

EJ
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

This is some good news. I think they are moving into where the old K-Mart used to be, but I honestly don't know. I also support local businesses, but if I have to drive to south Georgia or all the way across town in my Avalanche, it's no longer cost effective for me to save a few dollars when we have a couple sporting goods stores less than two miles from my home. Currently there is no "Dick's Sporting goods stores within 50 miles if my zip code. In today's economy local vendors need to "keep-up" with the competition. I know it sounds cruel, but we are in a dog-eat-dog economy, and the truth is painful. Sure I'll go to Kevin's when they really have a true sale of fishing items, and I am in the area I'll stop in and pick up a thing or two if it's reasonable, but now Dicks will be adding more heat to the fire, additional competition... Let's tie it up with this thread...: Tallahassee is finally heating up!
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... up#p267467
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

Is this the same Dick's Sporting Goods that STOPPED GUN SALES and Would not HONOR their already PAID FOR GUN and MAGAZINE Orders ?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

RED ZONE 48 wrote:Is this the same Dick's Sporting Goods that STOPPED GUN SALES and Would not HONOR their already PAID FOR GUN and MAGAZINE Orders ?

Yep, one in the same. I will NEVER shop there. If you do this kind of thing, you do not need my dollars.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/justice/c ... dicks-guns

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
BLACKPEARL

Post by BLACKPEARL »

There's something to be said about spending your money at a place that knows your name/face/ect. Kevin's it is for me!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

RED ZONE 48 wrote:
Is this the same Dick's Sporting Goods that STOPPED GUN SALES and Would not HONOR their already PAID FOR GUN and MAGAZINE Orders ?
First bad thing I've ever heard of and the place ain't even here yet.... :smt017 Makes me wonder what to expect. . . . :o
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

It's Kevins, South Ga.Outdoors, Crums, Gulf Coast Lumber, Jerry's, and Angie's for me.
The big stores have what you need for around here, but these guys have all the stuff you didn't know you needed for around here.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com