Smoked mullet question

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Smoked mullet question

Post by silverking »

Managed to foul-hook a big roe mullet the other day (treble hook in the eye socket--ouch), so I decided to keep it. Haven't tried to smoke much on the Brinkman and it turned out pretty well.

Soaked in a brine/brown sugar/water solution after splitting it down the backbone. Let the coals burn down some and added hickory chips. Dusted the fish with PP Cajun Magic and a few splashes of Tiger Sauce. Smoked for 2 hours while I worked on a bottle of wine. Turned out moist and tasty. I might have to try that again.

Question for all the Smoker Kings out there: Have any of you tried using cherry wood? I cut up a dead limb this morning that fell off the tree and chunked up several pieces to experiment.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Smoked mullet question

Post by Sir reel »

I don't consider myself a smoker king and there all sorts of preferences. But IMO, any fruit wood will work.

One bit of caution... when you say "cherry" I assume you mean Cherry.
If you happen to be referring to "Wild Cherry" that is NO GOOD. It will produce a toxic smoke and once the limbs are trimmed, they can be toxic to live stock if the leaves are eaten.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the reply, SR. I was referring to wild cherry limbs so into the yard trash they go. Thought I had read somewhere, maybe on here, that wild cherry was toxic, hence my question.

The hickory chips produced a good flavor so I'll probably just continue with those.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Pecan is my choice most of the time. Although I do use a lot of hickory. My smoke mullet mix is a splash of Hinze 57 and Everglades seasoning. Makeing sure I do not go over 250 degrees.

I do love me some smoked mullet!!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Blackjack Oak makes a great smoking wood.
But....it might be illegal to cut it anymore.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

people over smoke mullet you dont know what your eating the smoke . what can of smoke is it blackjack ,hickory,presertreded combo mix old family recipe that's what youons left out
REDFISHKING

Post by REDFISHKING »

Try "dirt" seasoning. its only sold on the web, and i use it on ALL of my smoked mullet!
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

Good smoked mullet is good smoked mullet!

Tell us more about the wine!
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Who has the best smoked mullet around St. Marks? Outz 2? or who?
NoFloRed

Post by NoFloRed »

pecan wood and apple wood are great smoke woods. not too strong. you can find both at home depot in the grilling section. i buy them in the chunks instead of chips which allows me to have continuous smoke with out having to add chips during the cook.
REDFISHKING

Post by REDFISHKING »

redbelly, i know some people that sell smoked mullet cheap and its the best mullet ive ever had, you can txt them at 850-7283408 and name your price and how many you want.
bman

Post by bman »

I get it from Mineral Springs in Panacea... Unless my dad does some for me. His is the best!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

JT,
What are you refering to when you said it may be ilegal to cut down the BlackJack. That is the most abundant, and worst excuse of an oak than any other tree in the Oak family. Never heard that they might be protected.

salute2
Semper Fi