The Yankee talks New York strip

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

The Yankee talks New York strip

Post by Atticus »

Okay I guess this needs saying. New York strip is relatively affordable as far as steaks go and its hard to mess up. This is my super simple/easy way to make them right. This is a no-flavor-added way to cook beef. If that's a problem its time to hit the next thread.

At the store; look for the steaks with the most marbling. The fat will cook off while you grill and help flavor the meat.

First thing is get the meat to room temp before you throw it on the grill. That means to set it out (covered in wrap) in a cooking pan for 30-40 minutes before you toss it on the grill. I grill with charcoal all the time and you can just set the meat in the pan on the counter when you go to start your coals. That will work fine. I am using a kettle charcoal starter.

If you have coals - get them going. If you have a gas grill - grab a beer. Coat the NY Strip in EV olive oil and rub with kosher salt and cracked pepper. You can't really put too much salt on a steak. It creates the crust eventually. In my opinion you CAN put too much cracked pepper on a steak so proceed with caution there. There is a complex way you can make a reduced butter concoction to help the EV olive oil but its above my head so I never mess with it.

Get the coals (or gas I guess) right and find the hottest part of the grill (generally the middle). Use tongs and NOT a big fork. The key here with New York strip is to cook the steaks for 12 total minutes. That means three minutes on each side twice (three flips). Use your wristwatch for accuracy. RESIST THE URGE TO GO ANY FURTHER. If there is a flame-up; use your tongs to LIFT the steak and place it to the outside of the grill for a few seconds while the conflagration dies down. Do NOT drag the steak across the grate and therefore knock off all of the seasoning you set-up with.

After the steaks come off the grill - DO NOT CUT INTO THEM OR STAB THEM WITH A FORK. Simply set them on a cutting board and tent with foil. Let them sit like that for at least four minutes before serving/cutting/carving.

Anyway this is a super simple way to cook some good meat that is often on sale. I like mine with Kraft mac&cheese as well as a green salad and a Fatty Natty. Just EVOO, salt, pepper and beef. No cover-ups. Give it a try.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: The Yankee talks New York strip

Post by SS-342 »

Atticus, I believe you know how to grill a steak! The only thing I would add is about the marbling. Marbling is hard to see so buy the highest grade of steak or CAB.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
NoFloRed

Post by NoFloRed »

Atticus, I cook on big green egg and cook at certain temps. What temp do you guess you are cooking, when cooking your steaks for 12 minutes. Also, is that giving you a medium steak (warm pink center).
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I agree the marbling is hard to see in the store. I don't worry about it much. I usually have "the admiral" pick it up at the store.

I am not sure about what the cooking temps are. I have the webber clam shell and I just use a full kettle of coals. Shutting the bottom vents on the bottom clam shell helps prevent flare-ups. I have never cooked on a BGE so I can't really help you there. Maybe some day someone will come over with a IR thermometer and I will make a note.

There is nothing wrong with adding some flavor to your steak. I don't do it but you could easily add a rub or other flavoring to this recipe.
bman

Post by bman »

I totally agree- A good steak needs nothing more than Kosher Salt and Pepper!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

bman wrote:I totally agree- A good steak needs nothing more than Kosher Salt and Pepper!
and charcoal !! Gas is for warming up the leftovers !! :thumbup: :thumbup: