Kayak for a 10-12 year old

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

Kayak for a 10-12 year old

Post by rocket »

My 10 year old really wants a yak, and I'm sure his 12 year old brother will follow suit. I definitely plan to buy used but what length should I look for?

Signed: I know nothing about Yaks, except paddle, paddle, paddle :beer: :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Kayak for a 10-12 year old

Post by Flint River Pirate »

My son fishes from a Feelfree Nomad and he is 7. It's right at 10 feet. The important thing is that he can haul it to the water himself once I unload it from the truck. A longer kayak is just as easy to paddle as a short one once it's in the water but the shorter/lighter kayaks are easier for kids. They like being able to haul their own gear. It makes my life easier too.

Feelfree makes a kayak called the Move Angler that's perfect for kids or smaller paddlers. I have seen a few used ones that are very affordable. Check with Tally Yakers in Tallahassee and see if they have anything used. I also know that Sunjammers in Panama City are selling off their rental fleet and they have some shorter boats for sale.

http://feelfreeus.com/feelfree-introduc ... -paddlers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Thanks FRP :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I think he'd grow out of a 10 ft really quickly and that size won't track well either. I'd have him try a few 12 to 14 ft kayaks. I like sit-on kayaks for ease of ingress and egress, and there's much more room for tying tackle and shuffling poles and such. I'm a huge proponent of "try before you buy".

I have a Heritage Redfish 12 and it's a great hull. It's not the lightest of the kayaks, but time-tested, and there are several on the market that are pretty affordable for the quality of the kayak. The boys are more than welcome to paddle it around if at least for a reference model, PM if interested.
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

I think he'd grow out of a 10 ft really quickly and that size won't track well either. I'd have him try a few 12 to 14 ft kayaks. I like sit-on kayaks for ease of ingress and egress, and there's much more room for tying tackle and shuffling poles and such.
Agreed. Have him try a 12 ft. and a 14 ft sit-on-top. The 12 ft. yak is usually easier for a kid to maneuver, but, if he can handle it, a 14 ft. yak generally will track better and give him room to grow. My son, now 14, still loves his Pescador 12.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

You fellas paddling 12 ' yaks are recommending a 10 year old go with a 12-14? I'd shoot for 10'. Maybe 12, but not 14. That's too big for a 10 year old. Especially if you want him to haul it himself. Most tandems start at 14. Go to wilderness way and try some out. Only get a 14 if you want to haul 2 yaks after a day on the water. I'll let you borrow my 13' hobie or 14' native. Have him drag them 100 yards to the lake, with paddles, poles, anchor, a cooler with ice and other gear and then see what you think. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

My son paddles an 11 foot Necky that used to be mine. He has been at it on his own since he was six. Before that I towed him in the same Necky behind my kayak. I figured out that if we fished a tandem kayak he would get bored and ready to go quickly, but if he had his own boat, he would spend hours exploring oyster bars, sand bars etc.
As mentioned, I would recommend going with a smaller, lighter kayak at first, even if you have to replace it later on.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I agree with FRP and SG on this one. I have a fairly light 14 NWC sit-inside and it's a handful for me to unload or tote long distances, let alone a youngster. If it's too much work, they won't use it very often. So what if they outgrow a 10-footer? With the market for used yaks, Rocket can always buy larger as they get older and sell the previous.

Check at the box stores for new, though. Academy, Dick's, BPS and West Marine all run sales on entry level models that may end up cheaper than used, unless there's a bunch of gear (paddles, anchors, etc.) thrown into the deal.

It's a fun way to fish and good exercise too. I'm sure the boys will enjoy it.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I am 6'1" 225 lbs and I have a 10 foot kayak in my fleet that I would not trade. It's perfect for smaller ponds and creeks. I don't think you can outgrow a 10 boat unless you weigh 400lbs. I would look for a used Tarpon 100. They are awesome little rigs. I had one that I wish I had never sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

I guess I was focusing on the 12-year-old, since that was my son's age when he got his 12-footer. He's not a big kid at all, but he has handled it fine and can handle my 14-footer now. A couple months before he got his 12-footer, I rented a 10 ft. sit-inside for him because I thought it would be more manageable for him. It wasn't. He had a heck of a time handling it in moving water near the St. Marks lighthouse - didn't track well at all. (It may have worked better for him in more still waters.) That said, I agree with the others that I wouldn't go bigger than 10-12 ft for the 10-year-old. Definitely let the boys try out some different makes and sizes, and see what they're comfortable with on the water. Whatever size you go with, realistically you're going to be doing most of the loading and probably helping out with some hauling, especially for a 10-year-old.

All of my time on the water is spent in the Gulf and the river mouths, so I like a heavier, stable yak for fishing that tracks well in water that is always moving and often choppy. You may not have the same needs. The most important thing is to get what works for you and have fun on the water! Good luck!