• Advertisement
beavisrealty.com


Please Support our Sponsors

Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.
Image

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Kayaking Forum Sponsored By
Image

Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby cotton » September 12th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Here’s a opportunity for the catch photo release folks to participate in a tourny. Get out there and support them.

http://taylorflorida.com/
cotton
 
Posts: 213
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 10:59 pm


Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby cotton » October 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The Gulf Coast Kayak/Taylor County tournament has been rescheduled for November 17th. The captain's meeting will be on Friday the 16th. Same locations, rules, etc apply.
cotton
 
Posts: 213
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby cotton » November 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Just a reminder this kayak tournament is this Saturday(11/17).

Image
cotton
 
Posts: 213
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 18th, 2018, 6:25 pm

How common is it that a fishing tournament advertised/promoted as CPR (Catch-Photo-Release) is "release-optional" with nothing specified about this in the event's printed rules and/or pre-event captain's meeting?
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 18th, 2018, 6:37 pm

SoberAngler wrote:How common is it that a fishing tournament advertised/promoted as CPR (Catch-Photo-Release) is "release-optional" with nothing specified about this in the event's printed rules and/or pre-event captain's meeting?


Don't bother to refer to the Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers' forum for any discussion/info on this matter.

Persons associated with FCKA encouraged Taylor County to make its 2018 kayak tournament CPR. However, after the fact, FCKA's forum has already deleted from its forum any/all discussion regarding "release optional".
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby cotton » November 19th, 2018, 12:10 am

SoberAngler wrote:
SoberAngler wrote:How common is it that a fishing tournament advertised/promoted as CPR (Catch-Photo-Release) is "release-optional" with nothing specified about this in the event's printed rules and/or pre-event captain's meeting?


Don't bother to refer to the Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers' forum for any discussion/info on this matter.

Persons associated with FCKA encouraged Taylor County to make its 2018 kayak tournament CPR. However, after the fact, FCKA's forum has already deleted from its forum any/all discussion regarding "release optional".


I can assure you nothing has been deleted from any site.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I had no affiliation with the tourny. I was just trying to promote it.

I know there was an initial discussion on Facebook that it would be release optional. I guess it changed somewhere along the way. Our initial request was just give folks that don’t believe in harvesting trophy fish a chance to participate.

Folks did ask about keeping flounder(not a tourny fish) at the captains meeting and it was allowed.

It was a great tourny with around 30 kayakers. Not bad for 39 degrees at the launch. There were folks from outside the area(MS,AL,GA,FL) that participated. The winning trout was 26 1/4”.

A few of us encouraged either CPR or release optional. Anything to allow folks who don’t believe in harvesting trophy trout to participate. They obviously chose CPR. This was there first CPR event. I had a great time and I think everyone else did too.

To answer your question: Its rare to see CPR in Saltwater. It is 100% used in freshwater. Its even more rare to do release optional. But its a good starting point for including a diverse group of participants.

If you pay attention when tournys are put on by kayak anglers they are almost 100% CPR. But, when there put on by outside groups they rarely are. Its why I always contact folks who have a kayak division and ask that they consider making it CPR or release only. Kudos to Taylor county for listening.
cotton
 
Posts: 213
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 19th, 2018, 6:10 am

cotton wrote:I can assure you nothing has been deleted from any site.


No disrespect intended, however, this statement is false.

On the FCKA forum there was posted comments and questions about release being optional, which was not in the printed rules or announced at the Captain's meeting. The FCKA site administrator posted a reply. The poster and site administrator then exchanged more comments on the matter in the thread. Then all the posts regarding CPR and optional release disappeared from the thread. None of the posts contained foul language, personal attacks, etc.

Furthermore, immediately after the posts were removed, the poster of comments/questions suddenly could no longer log in to the FCKA forum.

Censorship of a forum is appropriate when rules for the forum are violated. Censorship based on personal bias and/or personal objection to others' comments and opinions that do not violate forum rules is inappropriate. Such undue censorship contributes to the demise of and participation in forums.
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 19th, 2018, 6:31 am

IMO if a tournament is titled "CPR Kayaking Fishing Tournament" then the tournament should be as stated: Catch, Photo & Release. All fish photographed and submitted for prize entry should be required to be released (not kept). That's truly CPR.

If a tournament requires that all entries must be submitted via photo on a measuring board with the options of keeping or releasing the fish then don't call the tournament CPR - because it's not truly CPR.

It's my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the intent and purpose of CPR is to encourage and promote conservation/preservation. A so-called CPR tournament that allows keeping of entries is an oxymoron and defeats its own expressed title.
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby cotton » November 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Sorry to here about the deletion. Hopefully it was only done to eliminate confusion. From all appearances it was 100% CPR.

It started out as a kill tourny, so even release optional would have been a big improvement. Otherwise, I would have been left out.

Here are the results. I thought they were impressive for the weather.
Image

Lastly, You will never hear me criticize someone who host a forum or a tournament in a public forum. They get paid nothing and work their tails off. The amount of hours spent on both is enormous.

I was extremely appreciative of Taylor County for listening to our suggestions and making the change. We tried our best to support them.
cotton
 
Posts: 213
Joined: November 10th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby Salty Gator » November 19th, 2018, 1:08 pm

SoberAngler wrote:
cotton wrote:I can assure you nothing has been deleted from any site.


No disrespect intended, however, this statement is false.

On the FCKA forum there was posted comments and questions about release being optional, which was not in the printed rules or announced at the Captain's meeting. The FCKA site administrator posted a reply. The poster and site administrator then exchanged more comments on the matter in the thread. Then all the posts regarding CPR and optional release disappeared from the thread. None of the posts contained foul language, personal attacks, etc.

Furthermore, immediately after the posts were removed, the poster of comments/questions suddenly could no longer log in to the FCKA forum.

Censorship of a forum is appropriate when rules for the forum are violated. Censorship based on personal bias and/or personal objection to others' comments and opinions that do not violate forum rules is inappropriate. Such undue censorship contributes to the demise of and participation in forums.

It’s Jeff’s forum. Maintained and paid for by him. He can do whatever he wants with it
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 19th, 2018, 2:51 pm

cotton wrote:...From all appearances it was 100% CPR...


The angler landed then untied the stringer from the kayak. Both trout were over 20" the larger looked to be around 24". The stringer was then tied on to the trailer's kayak rack, the fish still lively.

"Wow, nice fish! You should have entered today's tournament."

"I AM entered in the tournament."

"You photographed those fish and submitted them?"

"Yes".

"You do know this tournament is Catch-Photo-Release?"

"I was told I could enter and keep the fish as long as I took pictures of them."

Shortly thereafter a phone call was made to a person associated with managing the tournament. In a calm and cordial conversation, that person acknowledged there was some discussion about keeping, rather than releasing all fish. Somewhat of an apology was offered for any miscommunication or misunderstanding.

Hence, for all appearances it was not 100% CPR.
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby Salty Gator » November 20th, 2018, 8:57 am

A tournament can have a cpr format. But unless there are rules that specify the fish cannot be harvested, it is within his rights to keep his fish ( I understand the r is for release). I hate that big breeder trout are killed for tournaments, and it’s great folks are trying to clean that up. But probably not fair to blast the tournament director for not mking them specify that in the rules, this is the first year they are trying this. If they get a bunch of blowback, they may decide to go back to the old format,.One guy kept a fish( if he was in possession of 2 over 20 “ trout, then he may have been disqualified), big deal. It wasn’t a 30” and he probably fed his family. Not worth getting that upset over. If you don’t like the rules don’t fish next year
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 20th, 2018, 10:49 am

"...not fair to blast the tournament director..." ?

No one blasted the tournament director.
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby Salty Gator » November 20th, 2018, 1:29 pm

SoberAngler wrote:"...not fair to blast the tournament director..." ?

No one blasted the tournament director.

Maybe not, but you definitely let your opinion be known. If you don’t want to fish don’t fish, but the complaining is gotten old. They went to cpr this year, there will be bugs to be worked out, but they are trying. Be patient, don’t fish it, or better yet, start your own tournament with the rules you like. Then others can complain
Can I also assume you didn’t do well in the tournament? In my experience, most of the complaints come from the losers.
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Taylor Counties Annual Kayak tourny

Postby SoberAngler » November 20th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Suggestions for the future:

1. clearly state ALL the tournament rules in print and make them available to all potential participants prior to entry.

2. review ALL the rules at the Captain's meeting.
SoberAngler
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Next

Return to Kayaking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Home | Weather | Tides & Moon | Pictures | Links
Articles | Area Charts | Area Guides | Online Licenses | Discussion
Reports | Tips & Tricks | Feedback | Contact | About | Advertise

Copyright 2001 - 2012 BigBendFishing.Net