new to yaking & new yak pictures

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cajunthunder

new to yaking & new yak pictures

Post by cajunthunder »

New to yak fishing. I set my yak up any advise please respond going to cyrstal river sat. 5-3-14 I have a learning curve to work out. Trying to get my yak slimed this Saturday.
Thanks, tight lines
try to work out downloading pic
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: new to yaking & new yak pictures

Post by Gulf Coast »

Don't forget your paddle !! :smt005
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

You are in for some exciting adventures! We'll be listening out for all those good reports, pictures and thanks for sharing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
cajunthunder

Post by cajunthunder »

Can't do pic from my tablet have to wait till I get home.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Tapatalk is your friend. Download it to your tablet and never worry about forum posts again.

Welcome to kayaking!

~~Dave
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Gulf Coast wrote:Don't forget your paddle !! :smt005
Ha Ha, been there, done that!

The main thing to remember on a kayak, LESS IS MORE!. I never take more than 2 rods (usually only bring one), and only the tackle I know I'll be using.
Paddle into the wind, that way when you're tired and heading home, you can just take it easy and let the wind carry you.
Using one of those lip-grip devices to get a firm hold on your fish is more useful than you might think. I once had a sailcat flip off the hook and land right between my bare legs and start flopping around like crazy. I am fortunate he did not fin me in a very delicate area!
Don't put your fish on a stringer and hang them over the side of the boat. They will die, plus they can attract sharks/alligators to you.
The best way to keep your fish is in a soft cooler. I use one of these, and have been happy with it. http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/ ... 7Aods3kAfA
If you don't have rod-holders, a milk crate, some PVC and zip-ties work great. My yak has rod holders, but I prefer to put my rods in the crate rod holders because it holds the reels up higher out of the water.
Also, remember you are required to have a PFD and a noise-producing device (whistle), and if your out after dark, you need some kind of light (a simple flashlight satisfies this requirement).
A paddle leash come in handy more than you might think. When you see that redfish tailing, you don't want to take the time to strap your paddle to the side of the boat before you can make a cast.
Good luck! :thumbup:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

Here are some launch site. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 63858&z=11
Welcome to the world of kayak fishing.
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est