Big Guy in a Kayak.....need advice

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Welby
Site Sponsor

Big Guy in a Kayak.....need advice

Post by Welby »

OK, just beginning to consider Kayak fishing. My major concern is My size. I'm just over 6'4" tall and about 285 lbs.
Should I give up on this idea??? If not, I know nothing about Kayak's, brands, models, etc. please give me input on what to look for, things to avoid, Options to consider, etc. I want to have comfort in mind. I don't mind paying a little more to have something I'd use verses being cheap and then not enjoying it...

Any input would be helpful.....is Suber still around ????
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Big Guy in a Kayak.....need advice

Post by silverking »

I'm 6'3"/225 pounds and feel very comfortable in my sit-inside yak, to the point where I often stand up to stretch, answer the call of nature, check out the surroundings, etc. I have a Native Watercraft 14.5 Solo that I paddle. Where and when I fish (super skinny stuff most times and during winter lows) it fits my needs perfectly. Others prefer the pedal versions so hands are free, but the draft is a compromise.

There have been a few threads on this topic within the past year. Do a search and you can read pros/cons. A couple suggestions, however. Go to demo day or kayak shop and gauge for yourself based on how you want to use it. There are several places that rent yaks to try them out too. Also keep in mind how you'll transport it. Some of the heavier models can be a bear to car-top but do well with a hitch rack or tied down in the bed of a truck. If you do go with a paddle model, spend a little more for the right size and lightest paddle you can. It'll make all the difference in the world. Finally, I limit my outing to 4-5 hours. That way I'm not wore out and I enjoy the experience more.

I don't plan to giving up boat fishing anytime soon, but the kayak has definitely opened new waters to me and made me a more patient and observant angler.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:I'm 6'3"/225 pounds and feel very comfortable in my sit-inside yak, to the point where I often stand up to stretch, answer the call of nature, check out the surroundings, etc. I have a Native Watercraft 14.5 Solo that I paddle. Where and when I fish (super skinny stuff most times and during winter lows) it fits my needs perfectly. Others prefer the pedal versions so hands are free, but the draft is a compromise.

There have been a few threads on this topic within the past year. Do a search and you can read pros/cons. A couple suggestions, however. Go to demo day or kayak shop and gauge for yourself based on how you want to use it. There are several places that rent yaks to try them out too. Also keep in mind how you'll transport it. Some of the heavier models can be a bear to car-top but do well with a hitch rack or tied down in the bed of a truck. If you do go with a paddle model, spend a little more for the right size and lightest paddle you can. It'll make all the difference in the world. Finally, I limit my outing to 4-5 hours. That way I'm not wore out and I enjoy the experience more.

I don't plan to giving up boat fishing anytime soon, but the kayak has definitely opened new waters to me and made me a more patient and observant angler.
^^^^ this :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

Big guy kayaker here 6' 4" 260. I have a Big Tuna now setup as a single. I almost pulled the trigger on a Cuda 14, but found the one I have used and a good price. Over the next month you will see a few more used as folks start to buy 2015 stuff coming out. Demos local are little hard to come by locally, unless its the spring demo time. You have to rent and get the rental off your purchase if you buy right now.

There are several good kayaks for larger guys right now and suggest if you can, get in each before you settle on one. I am looking at my second right now, a Hobie PA 14, but I will keep my paddle yak, as I will still have places that it can only go.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

This is great info. Thanks! I'm not in a rush , just starting the learning curve.
I'm leaning toward a paddle model because of where I'm interested in going. I will look up some of the other threa
camperkilgore

Post by camperkilgore »

These are really ugly, but I have one, and I really like it. The reviews are really like an infomercial, but they are from owners that seem to feel the same as I do. I found a used one for $600 on craigs list.
http://wavewalk.com/Fishing_Kayak_Reviews.html
cotton

Post by cotton »

Welby,

Post this over on: http://www.fcka.net. You'll get a lot of input. You wouldn't come close to being the biggest guy at one of their events.

If you have the money, there's a kayak for everyone.
This one can handle 600 lbs: http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mira ... angler-14/. I consider it a self-propelled boat and not a kayak.

First, find out when TnT is having a free demo: http://www.tnthideaway.com/ and don't buy anything without first trying it on the water.

Some things to consider:
The wider, the more stable.
The narrower, the faster.
The longer, it tracks straighter.
The shorter, it turns quicker.
If your fishing, consider a Sit on top or hybrid.
If traveling, a sit inside.
Pedals offer hands free fishing. They don't work in shallow pad infested lakes.
Most folks get the hang of paddling after only a few trips. Its like walking. Paddling several miles your first day might be painful.
You likely could pedal many miles your first day.

Kayak fishing isn't for everyone. Most folks know very quickly. It usually only takes one trip for other kayakers to recognize someone who will fall in love with it. If you enjoy trudging thru mud. Fishing places that rarely see boats. Giving yourself a little extra challenge. Hate noise!! Love tranquility!! Would rather spend money on fishing tackle, instead of a repair bill. Go fishing for the adventure instead of the catching. You'll love it.

If your someone who complains about a little discomfort. Don't even bother. Get a boat!!! Or better still, just stay at home in the recliner.
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

cotton wrote:If your someone who complains about a little discomfort. Don't even bother. Get a boat!!! Or better still, just stay at home in the recliner.
:lol: I have found I fish more days since I have had my kayak than when I had my boat. It is so much more convenient to drag it to work in the back of the truck than fooling with the boat. I just can't run to the hill as quick if a thunderstorm is coming is my only regret so far. I love mine!
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

cotton wrote:Welby,

Post this over on: http://www.fcka.net. You'll get a lot of input. You wouldn't come close to being the biggest guy at one of their events.

If you have the money, there's a kayak for everyone.
This one can handle 600 lbs: http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mira ... angler-14/. I consider it a self-propelled boat and not a kayak.

First, find out when TnT is having a free demo: http://www.tnthideaway.com/ and don't buy anything without first trying it on the water.

Some things to consider:
The wider, the more stable.
The narrower, the faster.
The longer, it tracks straighter.
The shorter, it turns quicker.
If your fishing, consider a Sit on top or hybrid.
If traveling, a sit inside.
Pedals offer hands free fishing. They don't work in shallow pad infested lakes.
Most folks get the hang of paddling after only a few trips. Its like walking. Paddling several miles your first day might be painful.
You likely could pedal many miles your first day.

Kayak fishing isn't for everyone. Most folks know very quickly. It usually only takes one trip for other kayakers to recognize someone who will fall in love with it. If you enjoy trudging thru mud. Fishing places that rarely see boats. Giving yourself a little extra challenge. Hate noise!! Love tranquility!! Would rather spend money on fishing tackle, instead of a repair bill. Go fishing for the adventure instead of the catching. You'll love it.

If your someone who complains about a little discomfort. Don't even bother. Get a boat!!! Or better still, just stay at home in the recliner.
What Cotton Said :thumbup:

Also Wilderness Way will set up a private demo any time you need to. Just give them a call and let them know what you want to try out.

By the way I am not tall. I am 5'8" and 240 lbs. I have been in a 12' & 14.5 ft Ultimate Native. I feel better in the 14.5. I like the length of the 14.5. I feel more stable.
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Thanks again for the replies. This is giving good stuff to look at and look up. Still a lot to learn, but way ahead of where I was a few days ago.
shorewalker

Post by shorewalker »

Fear not there are options. (Coming from a 6'8" 290 lb dude.)

There are several kayaks / boats out there.

Check out the following boats.

Wilderness Systems Ride 135*
Hobie Pro Angler 14*
Ocean Kayak Trident 15*
Jackson Big Tuna (rigged as a single)
Jackson Big Rig
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game
Maybe even the Hobie Pro Angler 17T although even I think that beast is too much (money, weight, length, etc.)

(*boats I own and have fished)

Mainly you are going to want something that can handle at least 500 lbs. Also make sure you test paddle before you buy. Also when searching check new boat and their vastly improved seat and factor that against cost savings. Eight hours in the saddle makes the saddle very important.

Those options become more limited if you want to stand and fish as the center of gravity becomes a challenge.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

6'3" , 265 lbs. , fishing from Wilderness Tarpon 14-----and loosing weight!
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

From another big guy...as you have noted, some great advice has been given. I especially like Cotton's response. Only things that I could add would be:
* Take into consideration how you will be transporting the yak. If you are having to hoist to the roof of an SUV, weight/length become significant factors.
* Several very fishy areas within easy paddle distance in our area and if you choose to go further, it's all good exercise.
* Peddle drives are also (according to other posts) at a disadvantage in areas with "slightly submerged" oyster bars.
* I only have experience in a "sit-on-top" but I know "sit-ins" have a loyal following. The main advantages to a sit in appear to be: stay drier and more storage, however, flipping a yak is always a possibility and if you venture any distance from shore, refloating a sit-in could be a major ordeal.
* Definitely take advantage of "Demonstration Days" at the local outfitters. Once you find one that you think will meet your needs, actually rent one for a day when the wind is blowing 10+ and take it fishing.
* Not for everyone but I have been fishing Florida waters for 50+ years and definitely agree that I am able to spend more time on the water with less hassles and more enjoyment than I ever did with a power boat.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm 6' and about 350. I have a 12' nucanoe frontier that is comfortable and stable. I have trouble keeping up with smaller kayaks, especially against the wind and current. It catches more wind with the raised seat. I'll be putting a trolling motor on it next time I go out. It does better in rivers and lakes. Nucanoe has a narrower, faster model out called the Pursuit. I've fished out of a Ride 135 and it was comfortable and fast. I didn't really feel stable in the Cuda, but I have a friend that loves his Big Tuna and he is a big guy.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

I have a Jackson Big Rig. Give me a call and I will be glad to tell you about it. Sending PM