St M Lighthouse to Big Pass by yak...

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Nambleman

St M Lighthouse to Big Pass by yak...

Post by Nambleman »

Based on my satellite imagery reseach, that looks about like a 2-2 1/2 mile paddle straight southwest from the lighthouse. On a somewhat calm day with not much wind/chop, do you guys think that would be doable? Im interested in fishing over that way but figured id see if other yakers have made that run or would reccomend doing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: St M Lighthouse to Big Pass by yak...

Post by red_yakker »

I've never made that particular paddle, but 2.5 miles isn't too far on a nice day. I've been well over 3 miles from the ramp before on my kayak. Just make sure you leave enough energy in reserves for that paddle back, and it helps if you can plan it on a day when the wind is in your favor for the return trip.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
bbb

Post by bbb »

I don't see a problem with it. It can get rough around the channel on a south wind and outgoing tide. But you always have the option of ducking in behind(north) Big Pass and using the oyster bars at the mouth of the river to block the waves(unless it's high tide) on the way back to the lighthouse.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Am I missing something? It looks like a west northwest paddle to me. And the calipers on the navionics app says 1.8 miles. That channel can get really hairy, be careful. You may try wakulla beach also
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Nambleman

Post by Nambleman »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Great advice for the future.

Well, I ended up going out today. But, instead of making the paddle all the way out to Big Pass, I only went about halfway to some oyster bars and fished them for the majority of the day.

As I was heading back in, the coolest thing happened. I decided to rig up a hardbait and do a little trolling. Figured that would greater my chances of possibly hooking up to something. At this point im pretty much right in the middle of the channel of the st marks river (between red channel markers 14 and 16, to be precise). Next thing I know my little 7' medium action rod with 10# mono doubles over and starts screaming...I swear I saw smoke coming off that reel! As soon as I can get 1 hand on the rod and rotate around to fight this beast, he exposes himself. Tarpon!!! This guy was every bit of 6' and 100+ pounds. He made 2 massive tail walks out of the water (massive as in his tail was about 6' above the surface of the water!) And that was it...gone!

Ive heard about quite a few anglers hanging into them up and down various rivers in the area, but never thought that Id experience one firsthand. Pretty awesome! Thought Id share.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Awesome! I've seen them around but never caught one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
gatoremt

Post by gatoremt »

Congrats I have never seen one.
Griff - 14.5' Ultimate Native
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate
Deus bonus est
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Super cool. I always troll a spoon or something when moving from spot to spot in the yak. It has saved my day more than once. Be careful about fishing in a marked channel, not only is it illegal, but can be dangerous in a yak. That big 30' offshore boat throwing a huge wake probably won't slow down for you. A big broadside wave could ruin your day. Congrats! thanks for posting :thumbup:
Nambleman

Post by Nambleman »

Yea, I completely agree with you there. I was fishing on the west side of the channel for the day and only trolled through the channel when I was on my way back in. I wasnt bottom fishing in the channel or anything. Technically speaking, I guess trolling through the channel counts as fishing in it, so that still makes it illegal.

Thanks for pointing that out, as its always good to keep in mind and practice the current rules and regulations. Good info to know for my next outing.

Oh! Has anyone made the paddle from the lighthouse east to stony bayou? Whats the distance on that route? Also, say I go for that run, how would one know when hes there without some sort of satellite gps?

Thanks guys.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I wouldn't think the man would write a ticket for trolling thru the channel. Certainly it isnt the same as anchoring in the middle if it( which people also do). But you never know. I wouldn't be as worried w a ticket as I would of being knocked around by the wake of a huge boat, while fighting a fish. The paddle to the mouth if stony is around 3 miles. Navionics has an app( some free some up to $5) w calipers so you can quickly calculate distance. Good luck
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Just checked , navionics now has a free boating app that has the calipers. Seems pretty close to the one I paid $10 for. It has the calipers in the lower right corner.
bbb

Post by bbb »

You'll know your there when you see the rocks under the water. Or out if water at low tide. If you pass the island with the palm trees you went too far.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I've made that run a few times, not bad but I would at least make sure that you are not fighting the wind coming back. As the weather cools, Sand Cove and Big Cove are also excellent areas to work and an easier paddle. The long bar just off from the lighthouse is also productive on a moving tide. May need to purchase a permit from the Mayor though. :smt005