kayak fishing bottoms road

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jp135

kayak fishing bottoms road

Post by jp135 »

Any advice for fishing around bottoms road boat ramp in the kayak? What areas should I fish?

Thanks
Nambleman

Re: kayak fishing bottoms road

Post by Nambleman »

Ah man, I'd love to know the answer to this too as I do a little kayak fishing myself. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of the area will have some input!
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Hi!

OK.....I cannot give you real time advice on bottoms as I haven't been in weeks, however....

The shoreline on your left hand when you launch, all the way down to the point towards piney island is ALWAYS a great area. And its not just the shoreline. During the summer and fall, that flat will have nice spotted grass out to about 100yds. It is very nice.
The point there points you directly across to piney island. An imaginary line going between the two is roughly where a long sand bar that is usually topped with grass resides. This thing is magic on the moving tides and fish stage on it. If you're looking at piney from the point, the right hand shoreline out to the first channel marker has been more productive for ME the last two years. On around piney and out aways, many people have caught bull reds and cobia on the next two channel markers.
From the point looking left at piney, that takes you back towards skipper bay. There's lots of oysters there and a GREAT creek to fish in in the warm months- it may be productive now as well!
From the bottoms ramp, straight across, there's some good flats there and to the left there, a channel swing that normally congregates jacks and blues and spanish in the summer.
From the ramp, looking right, that is going into levy bay....there's some great points and a few bars there....and also a very nice creek to fish as well.

Good luck and report back on the cold water fishing if you go. I'm interested in seeing how you do. Bottoms was on fire this past late summer/fall. It was kayak heaven.

Hope that helps.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Long story short... I've caught a legal cobia on a pink 1/4oz aqua dream spoon out of there... still one of my favorite areas in the big bend. Tarpon are not uncommon.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
jp135

Post by jp135 »

I launched from the bottoms road ramp at 7:00am and went to the left fishing the grassline for reds using a gold spoon. Went all the way to the point and caught nothing. Then I moved to the flats and found a deep hole next to a sand bar. Here I caught 2 trout both around 18 inches using a 1/8 ounce jig.

The next day I went to Levy Bay. After catching nothing fishing the flats I moved to the creek and caught a 22 inch red using live shrimp under a popping cork.
bman

Post by bman »

Thank you for the report back- These cold and warm temp swings have the fish messed up.
I'm ready for a week of normal weather but it looks like that is at least two weeks away!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Hey, ya did all right. I haven't heard of anybody catching lately and you got fish both days. Interesting that they are still in the deep holes, must be the cold water.
Yours in the South