A lesson learned paddleboarding

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

A lesson learned paddleboarding

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

I purchased a Imagine Wizard Angler paddleboard so I could learn to paddleboard and fish on it.
On 6/16/15 I went to a park in Cape San Blas to practice paddling. I believe it was Cape Palms Park.
I didn't know that the storm in Texas affected the waves in Cape San Blas (I was told after the fact)'
Normally the water is clear and the water was calm. It was not clear and there was strong waves. We saw other paddleboarders so we went in.
It was ok, my wife practiced first and she was fine and then I went. I did great but the currents took my far from where we set up.
My wife came and got me and we walked the paddle board back by the edge of the surf.
Half way I slipped and kneeled. The paddleboard was to my right and to the right of the paddleboard was the ocean. At that exact time a big wave hit the paddleboard and it hit me in the face.
I ended up in the emergency room ER of Sacred Heart and had 7 stitches done just below the corner of my right eyebrow.
I learned through the doctor, who was a surfer and paddleboarder, that i should have been on the other side of the paddleboard.
He gave me other tips too.
I learned a lesson that day and would gladly listen to any other tips; i was just to eager to practice.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: A lesson learned paddleboarding

Post by SS-342 »

I bet you learned a lesson! Thanks for telling us about it. It takes a good man to do that and it is something all of us could have done. Keep trying and learning, you'll have a lot of fun with the paddleboard. Be sure to post more experiences but I hope none as hurtful.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Re: A lesson learned paddleboarding

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Thank you! I will learn from this and I will not let it stop me from learning how to use the paddleboard! I just have to be more cautious. I see that TNT Hideaway will be having lessons on paddleboarding this Sunday and I plan to attend.