Shopping for new kayak?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rgharris83

Shopping for new kayak?

Post by rgharris83 »

I've recently returned from a successful redfish trip. Went down to my brother-in-law's in Mosquito Lagoon. Used his kayak and explored all over and fell in love. Now I'm making plans to get my own and learn our area. Any suggestions on a location to buy or look? Any models good for handling the saltwater? Thanks for any information.....

I've really learned a lot reading all throughout this site over the past year.

Post by Guest »

We look forward to your report on the red fish success :D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey rg,
I just put together a post about this very thing. Check out the annual Buyer's Guide of Canoe and Kayak magazine. It is great for seeing what is out there with pretty complete specs for all makes and models.
Good luck,
Dick
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

The best advice for a person in the market for a yak is to try as many out as you can. What works for one person does not work for another. There are pros & cons to nearly every aspect of kayak design (sit-inside v. SOT; 12 ft. v. 16 ft.; so on). All of them will handle saltwater, and all of them will get you to fish--you've got to decide what works for you, though. I would talk to one of the shops in town (Canoe Shop & the shop on Monroe--I can never remember the name) and see if they would apply a rental fee towards the ultimate purchase of a boat--that way, you could see if a boat in the shop is the one that you'd like, and not waste the $25 or so rental fee.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Good advice from rev. I bought my Hobie Outback from the Wilderness Way on Woodville Highway just south of the truck route (look for the gorilla on the left!). They also rent the models they sell and will deduct the rental fee from your purchase price should you decide to buy.
cuda94

Re: Shopping for new kayak?

Post by cuda94 »

Wilderness Way is the place to go to. Super nice people.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

PM sent
camperkilgore

Post by camperkilgore »

edit
New Mariner

Post by New Mariner »

A 2nd hand kayak from another fisher would be a cheaper entry. Read reviews before purchasing. Paddle.net reviews most kayaks. I am partial to SOTs except for cold weather. Gonna put outriggers on a canoe, or maybe use my kayak as a single outrigger for the canoe. All speculation at present. Outrigger parts on order for the kayak. Out on it alone to much.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Some more things to consider -

1. Wilderness Way has moved and is no longer just South of the truck route. You have to keep going South through Woodville until you get to Savannah's Restaurant, turn right, then take a quick left and they will be on your right just a little up the road.

2. Rent or borrow as many kayaks as you can and fish in them for a good portion of the day. The seat is as important as the rest of the boat. Some of them are hard on your back after just a couple hours. I am partial to Native Watercraft kayaks because years ago, they came out with the hard-framed woven seats that I could fish in all day and still get back out of the boat in the evening. These days, more manufacturers have the good seats and they can be adjusted up or down for paddling or fishing.

3. The wider the boat, the more difficult to paddle long distances, but the more stable you will be. Also, as the seats get higher, the boat gets more tippy.

4. If you are going to fish the grass beds out on the flats or in the bays, you may be okay with some of the pedal drive boats. However, if you are going to be dragging your boat through sawgrass and over oyster bars you should probably just stick with a paddle. Get a stake - out pole and a drift sock too while you're at it, both will come in handy.

I have a sit on top Native, a sit inside Native, a Necky and and Old Town that you are welcome to borrow if you want to try any of those. I also live on a small lake out near the intersection of US-19 and I-10 so you can fish in the backyard if you like. (Gotta put the fish back though :thumbup: )

- Steve Stinson