Tippet or no Tippet

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kat

Tippet or no Tippet

Post by kat »

Trying to get back into Fly fishing and had a quick question. After doing some research Im seeing that I need a Leader on the end of my Fly Line. I was just tieing a 9# mono line directly to the end. I have seen where some people use a Tippet and some just tie the fly directly to the Leader. For Freshwater fishing around this area is a Tippet generaly used??..And if I need to use a Tippet can I just use my 9# Mono or do I need to get a special line??...Thanx
Terrier

Re: Tippet or no Tippet

Post by Terrier »

Yes - a tippet should be used. It should go fly line > leader > tippet. If your fly line has an end loop, tie a perfection loop in the butt end of the leader and connect it with a loop to loop connection. If there is no loop on the fly line end, you can nail knot an 8" - 10' section of 30 or 40 lb mono to the end of the fly line and then tie a perfection loop on the end and then do the loop to loop connection. One the leader is connected, attach the tippet to the end with a double surgeons knot or blood knot, or tie perfection loops in the tippet and the leader and do a loop to loop connection (that's what I do). You don't need special line, although mono tippet is pretty cheap and I believe it has a smaller diameter then regular mono at the same strength.

You probably should try a bass/panfish mono tapered leader with matching tippet just to see if it improves your casting

That said, if you're catching fish and turning the fly over with a straight piece of 9lb test mono, don't feel you need to change - many fishermen use a straight piece of 20lb test in saltwater for heavy flies and don't have a problem.
bpac
Site Sponsor

Post by bpac »

Tapered leader and tippet is a must.
kat

Post by kat »

Thanks for the advice...I didnt say I was catching fish with my 9# mono :-D ...And I wasnt getting my line out like I wanted (or flipping my fly as you call it) consistant.....so hoping a leader/tippet combo will work.....I do have an eye attatched to my fly line so tieing the first know isnt a issue but I will have to Youtube these knots your talking about....I was told that it is good to use the lenght of your pole for the leader...Is this true??...How long should the leader be and how long for the tippet??

Also is there a certian size leader I should use??...I have 5 wght line.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

9' leader should work

Check this link for choosing tippet:
http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/choosing- ... ippet-size
kat

Post by kat »

Thank You Terrier that helped out alot...If you can bear with me I have a couple questions for you...

You say 9' leader will work but does this include the tippet length??
Also I see your in Tallahassee...I was planning on going there this weekend to check out the Bass Pro there to get my leader and tippet, do they have a good selection there before I waste my time and gas driving??
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

9' total length - with wind and/or heavy flies , you can shorten it to 7' and if its calm and the the fish are spooky, you can lengthen it. I fish mostly clear intermediates, and use 6' - 8' leaders. Bass Pro has a pretty good selection, as do Kevins and and Cape Harbor Outfitters.
kat

Post by kat »

Thanx again Terrier....Went to Bass Pro in Tally and they had everything I needed. I was overwhelmed with the flys they had. All I use is "poppers" but I see there are ALOT of different styles of flies out there. Once I get a little more familiar with my setup I might try some of the sinking type flies...Unfortunatly my weekends have been busy and havent had time to get on the water. :(
fishmasterab

Post by fishmasterab »