New to fly fishing the area

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ggoodman

New to fly fishing the area

Post by ggoodman »

I moved back from AK where i got hooked on fly fishing and couldnt wait to come home to try my hand at saltwater fly fishing.
Now that I am back I have a 14 panga(ankle deep draft) that I did a lot of spinning action with last year this year i want to hit the buggywhips hard. Thing is I am not sure where to start. Ive got a 8wt sage reel/ ross rod and a 8wt G loomis cross current and CCF reel that feels much closer to a 10wt so I oversized the line(SA Tarpon taper) on as I could barely feel the 8wt line load. Could use some pointer on Fly's to use for reds, trout, sheepshead. My dream is to hook up on a poon but I think I am a season or two and a bigger setup away on attempting that.

I tried to research the local club but the website is a bit behind the times.

Thanks
GG
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: New to fly fishing the area

Post by silverking »

You'll be fine with the 8-weight for the bread-and-butter gamefish like reds and trout.

For reds I like Wakulla Wobblers (a spoon fly sold by Orvis) or the Dupree spoon fly, Dahlberg Divers and crab/shrimp patterns in natural colors like tans and browns. Trout will take Deceivers, shrimp patterns and Clouser minnows in chartreuse and white. I've had a few sheepshead nip at shrimp flies but have never hooked one. Some locals have had better success with the convicts although the ratio is still low. Spanish mackerel, bluefish and ladyfish will all eat a fast retrieved Clouser or epoxy glass minnow pattern.

Bigger adversaries will require bigger flies and heavier tackle.

Good luck with your quest.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I blind cast most of the time with light clousers or charlies on intermediate line -haven't had as much luck with reds as I have with trout and flounder. I like polarflash clousers in pearl/marine green or gold/green, olive over tan clousers in cooler months and white marabou/pink ostrich/chart. bucktail clouser varient. Schminnows are good as well. I'm going to try gurglers,poppers and spoon flies more this year.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I went out with a guide one time, his method was to find the fish with live bait--spinning/casting then switch to fly when they are found.
I'm not sure this is pure fly fishing!
Another idea is to buy & bring live shrimp along to use as chum. Throw one out (bring a slingshot! lol) and cast around it for a while. I'm not sure this is pure fly fishing either!
I've had success with the DOA shrimp fly. Its about 1 1/2 - 2inches and used with a small worm hook. Is it REALLY a fly. I think not but it catches fish using a fly rod.
Use a clouser and cover the water blind casting.
This is pure fly fishing. imho.