St Marks NWR - 29 Mar 2015

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 29 Mar 2015

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge today from 9:30AM - 2:00PM. No kayak today, just wading the wash bar (It was a cold start for wading, but with the morning low I didn't have to get real wet). Picked up a small 14" flounder early, on a olive/chart/white clouser, then nothing until mid-morning when I got a 16" trout on a polarflash clouser, followed by a 18" trout on a pink and chart marabou/ostrich clouser type fly. I switched over to a cowen's coyote in olive tan and gold and got my first redfish of the year (and first Slam on the fly) - 23" and a hard fighter. I picked up a 19" trout on the same fly a little while later. All the action came on the rising tide, with some decent water movement. There was little water movement in the afternoon and I caught nothing after midday. I saw an overslot red and a smaller slot red caught in the morning on dead shrimp at the end of the bar. There were small baitfish around - and a manatee - so despite the cold start, spring is happening.

I released the redfish and the larger trout.

A few pics:

redfish:

Dinner:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR - 29 Mar 2015

Post by fishinfool »

nice catchin :thumbup:
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Good job terrier! Way to get it done. We saw ya slinging the old buggy whip this morning. It was tough fishing today. We hit the flats for 2 hours from 2-6 feet to no avail. The water temp was 61.5F, which pretty much killed the flats bite. The flats were 72 last weekend. We managed a few rat reds and 1 big flounder in our go to area. The low tide, high pressure, and 20 knot north wind really made it tough today!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Jhults11 wrote:Good job terrier! Way to get it done. We saw ya slinging the old buggy whip this morning. It was tough fishing today. We hit the flats for 2 hours from 2-6 feet to no avail. The water temp was 61.5F, which pretty much killed the flats bite. The flats were 72 last weekend. We managed a few rat reds and 1 big flounder in our go to area. The low tide, high pressure, and 20 knot north wind really made it tough today!
Next week's weather looks good - 80's and 70's, so the water should warm up quick. That north wind was tough this morning - I wore three layers of clothing and was still cold.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Nice!