St Marks NWR - 20 Mar 2016

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 20 Mar 2016

Post by Terrier »

Headed out to the refuge this morning despite the wind and fished the lighthouse bars from 9:30AM -3:00PM. Did better than I thought I would, ended up with 9 trout, most 16" - 17", with a few 18's and one 19". I also got a spanish and a bluefish. I lost 4 other trout, two at my feet and 2 long releases - they weren't biting hard, just a slow pick-up, almost like a bass picking up a worm, so I wasn't getting a great hook set. Even with some I landed, the hook just fell out and these were sharp gamakatsus.
Two of the trout jumped, one did a ladyfish 'skyrocket', jumping straight up and clearing the water - it did that twice and I thought is was a ladyfish but was surprised to see a trout.

Everything came on a an Olive/chartreuse/white clouser on an intermediate line.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR - 20 Mar 2016

Post by SS-342 »

Wow…best report I've read in awhile. Got to go….got to go…want to go but this wind and cold spell may mess them up.

Thanks for the good report.

The bite report has been a light peck of a bite lately. My brother even change to larger hooks because of the bite hoping it will help.

What does this mean? "Everything came on a an Olive/chartreuse/white clouser on an intermediate line." Would it work to throw it with a long cane/fiberglass pole? I grew up fishing the river with a cane pole throwing flies and popping bugs. How far away from the boat did you get hits?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Got on the water at 12 to 530 and caught only two catfish. I was using live shrimp and cut mullet. Glad that someone is catching but it would be nice if it was me.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

"What does this mean? "Everything came on a an Olive/chartreuse/white clouser on an intermediate line." Would it work to throw it with a long cane/fiberglass pole? "

I was using a slow sinking line - called an intermediate line for some reason, with a clouser pattern fly - lightly weighted bucktail fly that resembles a jig. You would have to cast out too far a cane pole but if you were in a boat and just doing a slow drift with a long enough line it could work, unless a redfish showed up - that would get a little interesting on a cane pole!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Terrier wrote: I was using a slow sinking line - called an intermediate line for some reason, with a clouser pattern fly - lightly weighted bucktail fly that resembles a jig. You would have to cast out too far a cane pole but if you were in a boat and just doing a slow drift with a long enough line it could work, unless a redfish showed up - that would get a little interesting on a cane pole!
Thanks Terrier….that would be interesting and "FUN"!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I often wave at ole Terrier as I roll by headed to the East. As someone who has an appreciation for saltwater fly fishing I have always admired his grit and determination to stand out there waist deep and cast that flyrod all day.

My rule of thumb has always been one fish on fly is equal to 3 or 4 on artificals and about 10 on live bait.

You have my respect my friend. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Thanks for the compliment - fishing is like stepping up to the plate except you get unlimited swings, so persistence beats intelligence any day!