St Marks NWR - 17 Apr 2016

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 17 Apr 2016

Post by Terrier »

Between the wind and stained water I've struggled the last three weeks and today was no exception - waded the wash bar from 10.10 AM - 3:00PM and got a short redfish and a mullet (hooked in the mouth, my 3rd). Also got a big ray that took me deep into the backing and wore my arm out. No real pattern, each fish was caught on a variation of a clouser. The mullet came on a brown and orange marabou clouser, the sting ray on a chartreuse/pink/white marabou bucktail clouser type and the redfish on a silver/green flash clouser. Not much bait in the water, although there were some big mullet. No crabs to be seen. I did get a visit from a 4' bull shark - swam toward me while I was waist deep at the end of the bar, but turned away about 6' from me when I moved. He was just curious (I think) but with the dark water, I moved in a little shallower. He swam by an hour or later, still patrolling.

The past few weeks I have been kayaking the creek east of the lighthouse and having a little luck with trout, most short. The wind makes for a long day in the kayak but the creeks do have clearer water and much more bait.
Last edited by Terrier on April 18th, 2016, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jslorenz3

Re: St Marks NWR - 17 Apr 2016

Post by jslorenz3 »

It seems like the wind will just not lay down. I cannot remember the last day that I didn't walk outside and almost have my hat blown off and the coast is surely no exception. I'm hoping the wind will lay down soon and let some of us do some more fishing!
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major