Hey Terrier!!

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

YankeeFlyGuy

Hey Terrier!!

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

I was sent to see you from the fishing forum.

I want to try my hand at fly fishing at NWR, but at the same time I want to take my kids with me and they will most likely be float fishing from shore.

Should I just leave the fly rods at home and fish with them, or can I possibly have luck from shore/knee deep. I definitely don't want to go out too far and leave my 7 and 11 year old on shore. Any other places you recommend?

Also, equipment wise, I have a 2#, 4#, 6# and 8#. What's most appropriate for the area?

Thanks!!
FHC
Site Sponsor

Re: Hey Terrier!!

Post by FHC »

not terrier but take the 6# and 8# go for it
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

At the refuge you can wade the wash bar - the bar along the boat ramp canal - at low tide. Its full of oyster covered rocks, so you'll have to watch the youngsters pretty close. You can fish the grass line from the old fish house pilings to the wash bar - that may be best with the young ones. The 8wt would work best, although the 6wt is fine with light wind. Clousers and gartside gurglers would be a good starting point - olive over white or tan, or chartreuse over white. You can fish the grass line toward sand cove (east of the light house) as well. There's a little creek around the bend in Sand Cove that sometimes holds fish. Just watch for rays if wading. Bald Point State Park might be better, especially along the flats off the beach.
YankeeFlyGuy

Post by YankeeFlyGuy »

:thumbup:

Awesome!! Thanks.