St Marks NWR - 11,13 Nov 2016

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 11,13 Nov 2016

Post by Terrier »

Getting a good trout bite off the St Marks oyster bars - 8 on Veterans Day, 14 on Sunday fishing to the west. Most have been mid slots, with a 20" and a couple of 19" fish in the mix - only a few short.
Lots of rain minnows in the water Sunday over toward Big Pass and lots of missed topwater fish. I've never had a day like that - I had numerous trout jumping over the fly but never taking it. I also had lots of fish get off after what I thought was a good hook set. Still ended up with a good day. No redfish though.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR - 11,13 Nov 2016

Post by Salty Gator »

That's great work terrier, especially for throwing feathers. We fished west last weekend, but my buddy fished over there and said the trout were thick. Congrats
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

What fly and size hooks are you using ? I picked up some smaller hooks today to tie on
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Gulf Coast wrote:What fly and size hooks are you using ? I picked up some smaller hooks today to tie on
Clousers - olive over chartreuse over white or tan on a number 2 SP11-3L3H Perfect Bend hook; Gartside gurgler is on the same hook

Clouser pic - one on top (the bottom fly works well but better in off color water)