St marks NWR - 11 Dec 2016

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St marks NWR - 11 Dec 2016

Post by Terrier »

Fished the lighthouse oyster bars and east river from noon to 5:00 PM today. Slow to start - no bait visible and didn't see much going on. Paddled to East River and looked for redfish along the oyster bars and marsh grass but couldn't get anything. Paddled back to the lighthouse and waded Long bar. It was chilly at first but the afternoon sun warmed things up. Activity picked up with the late afternoon sun and I got 6 trout in about an hour - all were upper slots (20", 2 at 19", 1 at 18, a 17" and a 16") and all came on a olive/chartreuse/white clouser on an intermediate line. The trout fought really well. The water was gin clear and cool but should warm up with the warming trend this week.
Last edited by Terrier on December 12th, 2016, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks NWR - 11 Dec 2016

Post by silverking »

Way to get after 'em Terrier. Bet there was still a shrinkage factor with those water temps. I was in a t-shirt by mid-afternoon at the boat shed. Wind didn't seem to be as bad as forecast.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks NWR - 11 Dec 2016

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice day, and interesting. I woulda thought the fish had gone way upriver with the last cold spell.
Yours in the South