Bitten off

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Bitten off

Post by eightwt »

Fished St Marks today, got a number of trout, but got bit off cleanly a few times. Would there be some Spanish around now? If so, any suggestions other than wire? Thanks
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Bitten off

Post by fishinfool »

Probably Bluefish, caught and missed a couple this past weekend. They were mixed in with the Trout.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Spaniards were around before the last cold snap. I caught one on the last day of February. Agree with FF though. Bluefish were probably the culprit. You can bump your leader up to 30-pound test or higher. Still won't stop all cut-offs and it could put a damper on the trout bite. Unless you're targeting Spanish, you might want to keep doing what you have been and bring plenty of leader material.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Yup. Got 2 Blue's last week on the East Flats last week. With that said, it is about time for the Spanish to arrive. As for the leader, I use 30lb mono and do fine with the trout. Get bit off occasionally but the best option if not running a wire leader.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I agree. I fish 30 lb flouro and sacrifice a few baits in order to get bit more often instead of using wire. When using live baits, I have found using a longer shank hook (O'shaunessy, etc.) helps reduce cut offs. Check your leader after every fish and retie if it is nicked in any way. I caught a Spanish December 31st on the flats so sometimes they show up where you do not expect them.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

We caught two nice sized bluefish about two weeks ago out of Keaton Beach, and one bite off. I usually fish with 20lb fluorocarbon leader until I start getting regular bite offs, then I switch to 40 lb leader. If I target Spanish mackerel specifically I use 50lb mono leader. It has to be replaced regularly but will hold up fairly well. For live bait Spanish mackerel dishing I would use long shank hooks and heavy mono leader if the water is clear. If it's stained I would use small lengths of titanium leader with a treble hook.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

We caught two nice sized bluefish about two weeks ago out of Keaton Beach, and one bite off. I usually fish with 20lb fluorocarbon leader until I start getting regular bite offs, then I switch to 40 lb leader. If I target Spanish mackerel specifically I use 50lb mono leader. It has to be replaced regularly but will hold up fairly well. For live bait Spanish mackerel dishing I would use long shank hooks and heavy mono leader if the water is clear. If it's stained I would use small lengths of titanium leader with a treble hook.
bman

Post by bman »

The Spanish are here- Friends caught 20 out of St Marks yesterday!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the suggestions. Will beef up my tippet next time. What size do blues/spanish run in the Big Bend?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

the spanish grow until they become kings

the blues grow until they become small AJs

...at least in size :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

galantnole wrote:the spanish grow until they become kings

the blues grow until they become small AJs

...at least in size :lol:
And this manure grows until it becomes full blown bull manure! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!