ST Marks NWR - 25 June 2017

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

ST Marks NWR - 25 June 2017

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge from 8:00 AM - 1:15 PM Not much to report - water looks like strong sweet tea at the lighthouse bars. It's darker this week than last. First tried the flats but nothing there, so I paddled to the coves and got a few strikes - a catfish and small black sea bass. Paddled into Big Cove and found the water cleared and less stained. Picked up a short flounder on a sand shrimp fly pattern than got a 24" redfish on the same fly. Got a nice fight from the fish on the 6wt. Nothing else after that but there was much more bait and general activity back in the creeks than on the flats. Looks like the wet weather pattern will continue, so I'll probably spend some time back in the east coves the next few weeks.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: ST Marks NWR - 25 June 2017

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Terrier wrote:Fished the refuge from 8:00 AM - 1:15 PM Not much to report - water looks like strong sweet tea at the lighthouse bars. It's darker this week than last. First tried the flats but nothing there, so I paddled to the coves and got a few strikes - a catfish and small black sea bass. Paddled into Big Cove and found the water cleared and less stained. Picked up a short flounder on a sand shrimp fly pattern than got a 24" redfish on the same fly. Got a nice fight from the fish on the 6wt. Nothing else after that but there was much more bait and general activity back in the creeks than on the flats. Looks like the wet weather pattern will continue, so I'll probably spend some time back in the east coves the next few weeks.
Don't you be fishin in Droze's ditch, the boss don't like it when you get in his ditch. :-D
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Fished NWR yesterday in that blow. Impossible to get to the lighthouse bar in my yak so tucked toward east creek. Only one short trout but did get to see a dolphin herding mullet up against the shoreline. Finally got to lighthouse bar late but nothing around, at least for me. Tough day throwing a fly.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Well done. I fished with my buddy Joe on the afternoon falling tide. We took a beating from the wind and waves. Managed 5 short trout, 2 ladyfish, 5 catfish, and a puffer. Water visibility was about 8 inches. Did have a great hamburger at Outz on the way home.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Plenty of room in Big Cove for more than one kayak. Just watch out for summertime blacktip sharks in there. They will likely reduce your inventory of flies the same way they cost me a few chug bugs.