Lanark reef

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Lanark reef

Post by eightwt »

Fished Lanark yesterday am. Pretty much had it to myself. Tarpon gone? Only got 1 poormans tarpon. Had a nice size shark of some sort pass under the yak, that was kinda cool.
rockyg

Re: Lanark reef

Post by rockyg »

The Tarpon Gods need clear salty water. (Just one of 17 +/- critical issues that must line up perfectly to jump a Tarpon on a fly)

They will be back......you never give up when $600 per day is on the line.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I fished out of Carrabelle Monday from the river West to almost East Point, then out to the back side of St. George Island. Dark water the entire way. The water coming out of the river was so dark you could not see the bottom in less than a foot of depth.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Then the fish are still passing through but the conditions just aren't correct to jump one? If so how long do they generally stay?. Yeah 600 is a good days wages, but there is still some expenses so I get it but beyond many's means.
savvy

Post by savvy »

I guess it must be worth more when you can sight cast them in clear water on the flats. The most 200# tarpon schools I've ever seen were halfway between the mouth of the Apalachicola and it's intersection of the inter coastal, rolling as far as the eye could see. Never seen that on the reef
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Saw one last Monday behind the state park at St George and of course left my big pole back at the house, just had my trout rods, she rolled then did a breach chasing something then rolled again got closer, chucked a top water plug but didn't like it, then she swam right up behind the boat, couldn't believe it, kids thought that was cool, she was prob around the 45# range,not sure I could have even got it to the boat if I hooked it with what I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk