Wakulla wobbler

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hambric85

Wakulla wobbler

Post by hambric85 »

I heard of this fly but can't find any pics or videos of it. Can someone show me? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla wobbler

Post by silverking »

Aaah, the Wakulla Wobbler. Great redfish fly. Created by Ted Forsgren, the retired executive director of Coastal Conservation Association Florida.

I don't tie it, but I believe Orvis has it in their inventory. Made with gold or chartreuse mylar tubing, a little tail material and epoxy with lead bead eyes. Ted told me the secret is as the epoxy starts to cure to pinch it between thumb and forefinger to make the divot which causes the fly to wobble. The bead eyes are tilted in the opposite direction of the divot so it wobbles along like a spoon. You can see it in the second shot.
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Thanks, I'd have to see someone tie it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Man that brings back memories. Ted and I fishing in his Maverick skiff out of St. Marks back in the late 80's. We really worked at learning to catch Red's on the fly. His Wakulla Wobbler was the result of a lot of experimentation. I believe I still have one or two he made. They are prized possessions.

Ted Forsgren......if you have a good day fishing inshore in Florida, you have Ted to thank for it. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton