13' Gheenoe Rebuild

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

13' Gheenoe Rebuild

Post by caseycook »

I've always enjoyed reading boat rebuild threads so I wanted to start one for my latest project. I was given an early 90's 13' gheenoe (with trailer) seven or eight years ago. Skip and I added a couple boat seats to it and that was about the only modification we've made. The boat was perfect for bass fishing at Lake Jackson or big negative tides at the Aucilla. The boat and trailer have been sitting in my parents' backyard under a tarp and so they've seen better days.

On Sunday David and I pulled the boat off and began work on the trailer. We used a cutting tool to remove the corroded hardware holding the springs in place and we removed the axle.

We used the cutting tool with a wire brush attachment to remove rust from the axle and the trailer. From there we took a sander to the trailer to smooth things out to get it ready for painting. The pic below is after sanding and the one after is post-paint job. Not the best example of what we were working with, but at least a comparison can be made. Prior to painting we also rubbed the trailer down with mineral spirits to remove any dirt, crud, etc.

Last night we put everything back together on the trailer including new springs and hardware. Here's one more shot of the painted axle. We plan to replace the carpet on the trailer bunks at some point.

Tonight we start work on the gheenoe. Here are a few before shots...she's propped up on the saw horse to help drain some of the water that had collected in her after sitting on the back deck in the rain.

As you can see, the old girl needs some TLC. Tonight we plan to remove both the seats, the railing, and strip everything down. This is also going to be a duck boat so we plan on removing the livewell to open up space in the middle of the boat for decoys, etc. We've talked about adding front and rear decks and some other cool features, but that's a little bit further down the road. I'll continue to update the thread as we make progress.
Boom goes the dynamite.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: 13' Gheenoe Rebuild

Post by SHOWBOAT »

nice Casey. Do you have a little outboard for her?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

SHOWBOAT wrote:nice Casey. Do you have a little outboard for her?
Yep, have a 6HP Suzuki 4-stroke. I'm contemplating buying a mini-jacker jack plate for the back, but don't know if I need one. Here's a pic with the motor mounted...do any of you boat geniuses out there think there would be any benefit to raising this motor?
Boom goes the dynamite.
filetandrelease

Post by filetandrelease »

They are fun boats to work on. I am in the process of remodeling a river hawk 13' duck boat. My boat came factory with the center box removed, and I removed the front bench. Now I am about to put in a front deck and mount a cooler.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I've got a 15 footer that is always a work in progress. I love it except any chop action winds up in the boat and the wife isn't too sure about the bilge pump connected to a battery when she's got her feet in the water. I tell her she will not get shocked and if we do fill up with water we won't sink. I tried that on the Flint once...

I don't know if you have checked out this site but there are some great ideas for customizing a Gheenoe. http://www.customgheenoe.com/
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Casey,

I never put a plate on my 15 highside with a 9.9 Johnson and it would go anywhere. That is the good thing about manual trim/tilt, the motor just raises when you hit stuff. I would say a rock guard may reap greater benefits than a plate, but I'm no genius
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Here is a forum where they do a lot of Gheenoe rebuilds. For informational purposes only, not promoting it.
http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Rhettley wrote:I've got a 15 footer that is always a work in progress. I love it except any chop action winds up in the boat and the wife isn't too sure about the bilge pump connected to a battery when she's got her feet in the water. I tell her she will not get shocked and if we do fill up with water we won't sink. I tried that on the Flint once...

I don't know if you have checked out this site but there are some great ideas for customizing a Gheenoe. http://www.customgheenoe.com/
Dockwilson wrote:Here is a forum where they do a lot of Gheenoe rebuilds. For informational purposes only, not promoting it.
http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/
Thanks guys, I've been using both customgheenoe and microskiff for ideas. DW - pretty sweet ride you have there.
Last edited by caseycook on June 27th, 2012, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boom goes the dynamite.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Well, last night I had quite the crew show up to help with the project. DCruz, SnatchNReel, and BlackPearl all came ready to work...well, except for SNR who was there to drink beer and "supervise". We got quite a bit done as we removed the seats, seat mounts, and most of the hardware on the boat. We were also able to cut out the center console and grind it down.

Here we go...
Preparing for the first cut...SNR offering words of encouragement.

The first cut is the deepest.

BlackPearl getting in on the action...at this point I started to feel like Tom Sawyer when the fence had to be painted, everyone wanted to try their hand at cutting. SNR doing what he does best.

BP getting his grind on.

This photo is about as rare as one of a UFO...SNR doing work.

Done

Tonight we're planning to use foamboard to get a template for our front and back deck stringers. Hopefully we'll have the wood cutouts done by this weekend. Time permitting I might even head to AMS to buy some fiberglass in the next few days.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Nice work. I love these kind of threads! I'm keeping my eye out for a fixer upper myself. :-D

Bailey :beer:
filetandrelease

What are you going to make the decks out of? Are you just using plywood? I thought about trying to use a composite that is lighter, but the price difference just doesn't justify the weight difference. I ran mine yesterday with my 10 horse and I need some extra weight in the front anyways.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

filetandrelease wrote:What are you going to make the decks out of? Are you just using plywood? I thought about trying to use a composite that is lighter, but the price difference just doesn't justify the weight difference. I ran mine yesterday with my 10 horse and I need some extra weight in the front anyways.
We plan to use marine-grade plywood and then glass it in. I've been told by my expert (BlackPearl) that as long as we glass it in correctly, there should be no rotting issues for several years and that the composite material just isn't worth the additional cost.
Boom goes the dynamite.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

We were able to get a little bit more done last night on the Gheenoe. After looking at some tricked-out gheenoes, we decided to cut a segment out of the rear bench seat and remove all of the foam. We plan to deck this back portion in and it will be nice to have a storage area in the back for life jackets, etc. Our new opening is 13" wide and about 7" tall.
Prior to the first cut, all taped up and ready to go.

Here goes nothing...

As you can see, the foam closest to the walls was water-logged. Additionally, some ants had made their way into the foam and built a small nest.

The foam was tough to cut out so we used a screwdriver to break chunks off.

Finished

This whole process didn't take long at all, maybe 30 minutes. The project came to a standstill however when we tried making the templates for the bulkheads for the front and back decks. After about an hour and a half we were able to get the front template done. We all felt like we were missing an easy solution, but found that the easiest way for us was to start with a rough piece of cardboard and trim as needed. If there were any additional gaps, we taped more cardboard to our template. From there we traced it onto another sheet of board.

I'll be buying more supplies tonight and we plan to get the back template done and maybe a little glassing. We're learning as we go, but I'm enjoying it. Will update tomorrow.
Boom goes the dynamite.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

caseycook wrote:Yep, have a 6HP Suzuki 4-stroke. I'm contemplating buying a mini-jacker jack plate for the back, but don't know if I need one. Here's a pic with the motor mounted...do any of you boat geniuses out there think there would be any benefit to raising this motor?
I know a guy that raised his motor a few inches on a small boat like that. He can go about an inch shallower now, but his prop stay clogged up with floating grass. I have a 15 ft boat (Riverhawk) similar to yours with a 20HP short shaft. It runs as shallow as I could imagine ever needing it to.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
filetandrelease

Looks like it is coming along well. I got my front deck cut out today, I am just putting in a low front deck to mount a cooler. I like your idea with the back bench though, I may have to keep that in mind. If you have any empty pockets you are fiberglassing over, I kept my foam from the front beach and cut it up and put it back in the boat to help keep the flotation in there--just an idea. I look forward to seeing your finished product!