Project Jon Boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Project Jon Boat

Post by setty7 »

All,
This is a project my dad, myself and my friend started about 3 weeks ago. All supplies have been purchased at Lowes, Ace, Ebay (light bar), Wal-Mart, and Academy. Enjoy the pictures and ideas. Please ask any questions. All we really have left to do is; mount the battery for the light bar and future led strips that will go along the inside of the boat, fix the right trailer light, and paint!

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Project Jon Boat

Post by Salty Gator »

Lookin sharp. Are y'all planning on going some gigging?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Salty Gator wrote:Lookin sharp. Are y'all planning on going some gigging?

maybe down the road!! Right now it (the light) will be used for night time and morning fishing. It may be to bright ha
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Looks good. My dad and I built a jon boat similar to that when I was about 12 that I fished out of for years. Now I'm 50 and about 130 lbs heavier, so I need a little bigger rig.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Neat build. Question. Why add carpet? I could see how it could possibly be quieter, but wouldn't it be prone to mold and mildew in our humid state? How do you keep it from doing that? I have little experience with carpet in boats is why I ask....

Nice job it looks like though.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

thanks guys! And its indoor/outdoor carpet. Not sure if it will mold?? Idk. We wanted to carpet it because the aluminum gets hot.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Ahhhhhh well that makes sense....

I'll be very interested to hear how you think it holds up and looking forward to pictures posted on it....
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

What type of motor are you going to use on it?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Ive got a 4hp evinrude and a 35# thrust trolling motor. Will most likely step them both up to a 45# or more and probably a 9.9hp eventually. What are yalls thoughts? This build probably added (just guessing) an extra 100lbs??? With all the plywood - 3/4" and 1/2" used throughout.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

setty7 wrote:thanks guys! And its indoor/outdoor carpet. Not sure if it will mold?? Idk. We wanted to carpet it because the aluminum gets hot.
The only problem with indoor/outdoor carpet is that hooks will get hung up easy. You might want to try dropping a couple of lures on it to see if they do get hung on the carpet. If they do just use it till it wears out and replace with boat carpet.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Hooks won't get caught in all indoor/outdoor carpet. Some of it is loop less...like the AstroTurf kind. I bought some at Home Depot once that was great for boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon