Ochlocknee shoal

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Ochlocknee shoal

Post by procraftwes »

I have a 17' proline(purchased over the weekend) and have been out a couple of times since.

I was going to make it out there today but got held up by the bite of the flats but just curious what people are catching that way?

Also is it more of a sandbar destination?

Any sandbar's around the st marks area besides the one at the first birdrack?
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Ochlocknee shoal

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THAT BAR STRAIGHT OUT FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE AT THAT BIRDS ROOST GOES EAST FOR ABOUT 2 MILES, MOST OF THE BOUNDRY FOR ST. MARKS REFUGE AND THE POST ARE RIGHT ALONG THAT BAR FOR A LONG WAY. IF YOU GO EAST TILL YA GET TO THE FIRST BOUNDRY POST EAST OF THE BIRDSROOST AND HEAD IN TOWARD SHORE THERE ARE SOME SPOTS THAT ARE 6 FT. OR DEEPER ABOUT HALF WAY TO LAND, I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK THERE. IF YOU GO CLOSER TO SHORE YOU WILL COME TO "black" ROCK AND GENERALLY I CATCH SOME REDS AROUND THAT AREA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

In case you can't find the rock Pa is talking about, I think it shows up as black rock on maps now.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

Salty Gator wrote:In case you can't find the rock Pa is talking about, I think it shows up as black rock on maps now.
Hah, I was going to question it, but decided not to! :-?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Do people hang out there like a sandbar or is it mostly a fishing destination?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

procraftwes wrote:Do people hang out there like a sandbar or is it mostly a fishing destination?

Some people hang out in the shallow sandy areas( can see the sharks from further away), but it is a long ride for a swim. People also fish it, mostly the deeper grassy areas, but trout, Spanish macs, bluefish and ladyfish can be out there plus the occasional cobia or bull red. And plenty of small(and some not so small) sharks
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote:Do people hang out there like a sandbar or is it mostly a fishing destination?

Some people hang out in the shallow sandy areas( can see the sharks from further away), but it is a long ride for a swim. People also fish it, mostly the deeper grassy areas, but trout, Spanish macs, bluefish and ladyfish can be out there plus the occasional cobia or bull red. And plenty of small(and some not so small) sharks
After seeing what I have seen in only 2 trips I'd be wary of swimming in any water around st marks.

I guess its just mental as while I was fishing people were swimming at the sandbar all day and no one has ever been killed or attacked in the area(once in 1950's someone was bit).

Pretty good track record I guess.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

This is some footage Capt. Chuck Simpson and I shot out at the shoal a few years ago. This was taken in less than four feet of water, but I've encountered tigers nearly twice this size in the same area. Needless to say, I haven't been swimming there since. But I've also seen a 12-foot tiger in 15 feet of water off one of the St. Marks artificial reefs too. There aren't any fences in the Gulf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCzir8FVZg
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Super cool Capt Dave. Those sharks are everywhere! If they wanted to eat us they would. Think about all of the bull shark sightings just before scallop season. I'll jump in to cool off, but I'm not swimming for long
bman

Post by bman »

Pa, you used the same name I've heard other old timers use but I corrected it below ;-)
FUTCHCAIRO wrote:THAT BAR STRAIGHT OUT FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE AT THAT BIRDS ROOST GOES EAST FOR ABOUT 2 MILES, MOST OF THE BOUNDRY FOR ST. MARKS REFUGE AND THE POST ARE RIGHT ALONG THAT BAR FOR A LONG WAY. IF YOU GO EAST TILL YA GET TO THE FIRST BOUNDRY POST EAST OF THE BIRDSROOST AND HEAD IN TOWARD SHORE THERE ARE SOME SPOTS THAT ARE 6 FT. OR DEEPER ABOUT HALF WAY TO LAND, I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK THERE. IF YOU GO CLOSER TO SHORE YOU WILL COME TO "black" ROCK AND GENERALLY I CATCH SOME REDS AROUND THAT AREA.
PA
SEMPER FI
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"