Lowrance Elite 5 HDI

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AUTiger

Lowrance Elite 5 HDI

Post by AUTiger »

The Lowrance Elite 5 HDI says it is loaded with base mapping. Does anyone know what this means exactly? Is it a good idea to use optional mapping from another source? If so, what is the best optional mapping to use with the Elite 5?

Thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Lowrance Elite 5 HDI

Post by Salty Gator »

Base map has minimal detail. No depths, channel markers, contours etc. You will want to get a navionics chip. I believe platinum has the most detail, then gold and maybe another. The chip makes a big difference. Not a must have, but close
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
AUTiger

Post by AUTiger »

Do you think the base maps will be good enough to navigate the St George Island area, or would the Navionics chip be necessary? I have been out with many guides, but never on my own so it does make me a little nervous with the oyster bars.

Thanks
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have the Navionics app on my phone and it has been very helpful
Team Jolly Mon
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

You can download navionics on your smartphone. It will cost 10-15$ it will have the same info the 150$ chip has on it . Use the phone out on the water for a trip or 2 and keep your tracks going on your lowrance to mark some safe routes.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bigphishy wrote:You can download navionics on your smartphone. It will cost 10-15$ it will have the same info the 150$ chip has on it . Use the phone out on the water for a trip or 2 and keep your tracks going on your lowrance to mark some safe routes.
Not the same. Smartphone navionics( which I also have) are virtually impossible to see on a sunny day. There is a lot more power on the display on the hard wired in unit. Also the battery is likely to die on the phone especially if you are struggling to get a signal. I used it today on the wacissa and my phone was dead in 3 hours. Had to use a mobile charger. The base map will get you around the island but do not trust any map of any kind to have all oyster bars marked. Navionics will have most, but not all of them. You will want to get a chip eventually, it really makes it easier. And you didn't just get a new gps unit so you could use your I phone to navigate on sunny days. Your probably looking in the 80-120 range for gold and platinum. May find a used one cheaper. Good luck.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I have a Navionics Gold card and I'm thinking about upgrading my unit to a Platinum Plus. If you're interested in it let me know.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki