Real World Opinions on New Sonar Units

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: Real World Opinions on New Sonar Units

Post by big bend gyrene »

Want to both thank everyone who took the time to respond as well as share an update. Ended up going with a used Humminbird 898, with many thanks to Tom Keels who helped arrange the deal. :thumbup:

Also want to thank Tin Can for being super generous with his time, giving me an awesome primer on the different brands / features at Bass Pro Shop. He couldn't have been more patient answering a ton of questions from me. Would feel a bit more guilty for not having gotten a new unit from BPS if not for MANY other purchases I've made there since it opened and that's all I better say about that, lest I get in trouble with "La Jefa!" :smt075 ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Any feedback on the Hummingbird Helix Si units, 5" and 7" I think? $ wise they seem like a deal and only need a single ducer. I have limited mounting room, so am considering these.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I have a lowrance hds gen 3 I put on on my bay in June. I love it. The side view is very helpful when near oyster bars, bridges, old bridges ect. I've found stuff with it I never knew was there! Also when trolling I've seen schools on it and been able to pull the baits into them. The overlay of structure scan to the map is also helpful. Also with the lowrance you can record your scans to make your own maps. VERY HELPFUL!!! I had a Garmin sv 7" prior, I like this better. Just my 2¢

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk