Outboard question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Outboard question

Post by BloodyChamp »

I have a chance to buy an old Mercury 2.2 for almost nothing. I knew somebody who had 1 back when they were new and it was ACE. I've never heard of any problems with them either. I've even read online where sailboat folks were cussing their 4 stroke 4 and 5 horsepowers after upgrading from the old 2.2s.

That brings me to the 1 I'm looking at. The ad says it needs a "coil pack." What is that in 2 stroke outboard language? I can't find it on the parts diagram or anywhere else. I *think* I know what that is on a vehicle but if I'm right then there's no such thing on an old outboard.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Outboard question

Post by Steve Stinson »

Its a black plastic box at the opposite end of the spark plug wire from the plug. Functions similar to a coil on a car, but on an outboard, there is one for each cylinder.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

So that would be the ignition coil on an outboard. Rats. Can't find 1 anywhere.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

You may want to consider an electric trolling motor. A decent one will push you like a 2.2, plus you'd have to be stupid to crank an outboard in any non lake freshwater :wink:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Steve, I hope he does not buy that ignition coil for and auto and try to install it on his old Merc.