Mooring advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Mooring advice

Post by onefishtwofish »

I need to moor my boat in a boat slip. The catwalk is pretty elevated and I have been watching it through the tides. Does not seem like the boat could get under the catwalk, but I am panicked about that. I will take some pics next week. Wind and waves are not an issue, as it is way up a canal, almost the end. I need something to hold it off from the catwalk but don't want to pay for having a piling driven. I expect that would be expensive. I know ya'll can't answer til you see my set up, but I am afraid, although whips would work, it would put the boat too close to the neighboring slip as nothing is between us. Trying to do this for less than several hundred dollars as I do not intend to leave the boat there, only moor it overnight while fishing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, what would a small piling cost, round about? I know there is a lot of know how on here, so I thought I would test it. salute3
dock.jpg
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Mooring advice

Post by Steve Stinson »

I don't know how young or energetic you are, but there is not much to setting pilings. My 13 yr old son and I have been setting some at our house pond for rebuild of a dock. If you get them upright, then start working around the base with a pressure washer, the piling will sink into the ground. I have a few more to set toward the deep end of our dock, but need to get an extension for my pressure washer gun.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

how large of boat. You can buy a pair of whips for a few hundred bucks.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 601&r=view
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Showboat has the solution above. Not too expensive, meets your needs and won't require a permit or any hassles with the HOA.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks guys. I knew you would come up with some ideas. I will check and see if mooring whips are doable, but I am liking fishinfools idea to try first, just to see. Won't be out much if I am not happy with it.

I will also check to see if I can drive my own piling. My only concern is exactly where my slip ends, it is a deeded slip and don't want my neighbor's boat to not fit, even if he/she is a little on my side. Trying to be neighborly. I will see who owns that slip and what size boat they have.
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

One fish two fish, if you need a little help with that piling holler across the river be glad to help.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

10-4 and thanks. I think I will try some other options first, but may wind up there.

Don't pilings need to be permitted?
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

Stop by Crums Mini Mall, Ronald Fred Crum can help with any questions in that area.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Mooring whips are out. I did some measurements and it will keep my boat to far out in the slot, it is pretty tight.

How long will a galvanized pipe last in the saltwater? I was thinking of driving one in and then putting a PVC pipe over it. Would it be gone in a year?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not a metal expert, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. LOL

I suspect depending on the gauge galvanized might last a year or so. If you filled it with cooking oil and capped it, it would probably last longer as the oil would seal against oxygen and rust. That's what a marina in Costa Rica did where I fished one time. You might also look into stainless steel. Homemade concrete blocks with stainless eye-bolts sunk in the slip and tethered with mooring balls might be another viable option, one for bow and stern?

What about something like these? Would keep the boat off the dock yet still close.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... el&i=87128
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

You may look at black iron pipe 21 ft. 2 in ISD. PLACE A 2X 1/2 bell reducer and a 1/2 nipple with a 1/2 BI cap for easy driving. On top end place a 2 in. bip cap. Black iron is alot thicker and is coated. Maybe take it to the guys who spray bed liners and coat it real good.place awood block on top and drive to the height you want. Take cap of and replace with same set up on bottom of pipe, install swivel block that will slide over nipple then put cap on. You can adapt to something bigger on top of pipe to keep swivel on. You can do this with sch 80 pvc, i would think in time it may warp. You mite want it to give some anyways. The sch 80 want break it may crimp and warp. Dont know for sure never used it this fashion. Use a good teflon pipe sealer. You may ask the guy that spray if he can do the in side to.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

If you can get it without busting the bank, stainless is the best way to go. Had a bud get some off of a damaged shrimp boat. He took his portable saw saw and cut some off.

If not, get the thick wall hot dipped galvanized. It will last several years, but the problem is, you won't be able to tell when it is going to fail until it fails.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!