Where's FWC?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

deer30084

Where's FWC?

Post by deer30084 »

I was in my kayak at the ST Marks/Wakulla rivers on MLK Day, Jan 16, 2017. Lots of boaters ignoring the no wake zone to include a commercial crabbing boat. Not a single FWC officer in sight. But I do see FWC officers around during the week when things are slow. Get out there and enforce the law FWC!
countrycorners

Re: Where's FWC?

Post by countrycorners »

In all my years of Florida boating I've seen no wake enforced once: by a marine Deputy Sheriff down in Ft. Pierce inlet. It was kind of funny cause he was trying to stop everyone!
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

I'm from the FTP area, they enforce no wake/manatee zones pretty aggressively. FWC being understaffed probably has their resources pretty scattered, especially on the last few weeks of hunting season.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I am always compliant with all regulations but have watched the man weave thru dozens of boats with Fla registration to check my Ga registration boat. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:I am always compliant with all regulations but have watched the man weave thru dozens of boats with Fla registration to check my Ga registration boat. Not sure why.

For the same reason the Coast Guard went past dozens of boats @ Dog Island from over a mile away and boarded my boat for a safety inspection. Fla. registration. :-?
bman

Post by bman »

For the same reason I have not been stopped locally our entire duck season. They just don't have the number of bodies available to enforce the law. I've even called to report people running ducks, running motors on iammonia, and obviously shooting over the limit.
Not once have I seen an FWC officer on the water.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

reelbad wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:I am always compliant with all regulations but have watched the man weave thru dozens of boats with Fla registration to check my Ga registration boat. Not sure why.

For the same reason the Coast Guard went past dozens of boats @ Dog Island from over a mile away and boarded my boat for a safety inspection. Fla. registration. :-?
. Funny how that works. We must look shady. Lol

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Poaching will always be a problem, unfortunately. Some folks just feel like they are above the law and don't care. All we can do is report the ones we see and hope they can get after them. I want to see fish stocks stay good enough that my grandchildren can enjoy catching them. A few years back, we used to catch trout in the river that had obvious net marks on their skin, the smaller ones that wiggled free somehow. Makes me mad. :evil: Same thing goes for ducks, kill the legal limit and then go home.
Yours in the South
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

IMO I feel like your concern should be directed higher up the food chain at FWC than to the local game wardens. It's not the local officers' fault that they are understaffed and/or busy working hunting seasons or boating/fishing concerns in other places. One person can only be one place at a time. (Just my opinion, not trying to ruffle any feathers.) Also, there may be some areas that have "less than proactive" law enforcement folks, but they have always been fair and professional with me, and my boat has Tennessee numbers on it.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline:

888-404-3922, 24 hours a day.

Get as many details as possible, including hull numbers, boat & engine make, color, location, tow vehicle, description of the offenders, etc.

Yes, FWC LE is spread too thin but they do a good job with the resources available and the average boater/angler you see may actually be an undercover officer.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

deer30084 wrote:...Get out there and enforce the law FWC!
FWC Field Operations Weekly Reports
http://myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/le/weekly-reports/

I believe FWC does "enforce the law" - every chance it gets. The problem is there are many times the number of chuckleheads out there than there are FWC law enforcement officers.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Nautical Profiling! :smt011

I've seen it at Econfina many times over the years!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Perhaps for the same or similar reason(s) I've experienced or seen Georgia State Troopers pulling vehicles with Florida plates over on I-75 while vehicles with GA plates go whizzing by.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

RHTFISH wrote:

Nautical Profiling! :smt011

I've seen it at Econfina many times over the years!
Which is why I register my boats in Florida.

Last year the FWC seemed to be everywhere this time of year. This year, I've passed at least 3 different trucks at different times, but have not encountered any on the water or at the ramps.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Last year, I hunted a local lake every open day during the first phase, and most open days of the second until going back to school in early January. Not once did I encounter FWC at that lake, and early/late shooting was rampant. This year, same lake, FWC was at the ramp at least every other open day, and for the first time in all the years I've hunted that lake, I met my first Fed--ran into him again at least 4-5 other times after that as well. Per an FWC officer I spoke with this season, within the area they're assigned to patrol, they have discretion as to where they choose to be and what activity they regulate (unless given specific orders of a call comes in).