Looking for a Merc mechanic

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Looking for a Merc mechanic

Post by dolphinatic »

I am looking to find a mechanic willing to work on my 1975 Merc 850 Thunderbolt. I made the mistake of running non-ethanol gas in it a few years back, and then let it sit. It would turn over and run only if I shot gas in through the carbs. I took it to another shop here in Tally and it sat there for 6 weeks. I went and picked it back up and am currently trying to find a mechanic willing to try to get her running. Last time, all it took was a carb rebuild, but no one is willing to touch it these days. Any reliable recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
339-1269
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a Merc mechanic

Post by silverking »

Sent you an email, Tom.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GET YOURSELF A CAN OF CHEMTOOL, AND A CAN OF STARTER FLUID FROM WALLY MART OR AUTO SUPPLY STORE. PUT THE FUEL LINE IN THE CAN OF CHEM TOOL AND PUMP UNTIL THE CARB. BOWL IS FULL OF THE CHEMTOOL. CRANK IT OVER ABOUT 1/2 MINUTE, LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT, BE SURE TO HAVE THE FOOT IN WATER OR A SET OF RABBIT EARS OVER THE WATER INTAKE, SET THE THROTTLE AT ABOUT 1/4 TH THROTTLE CONNECT THE FUEL LINE BACK TO FUEL TANK, GIVE THE CARB A GOOD SHOT OF STARTER FLUID IN THE THROAT OF THE CARB AND CRANK THE ENGINE WITH THE CHOKE WIDE OPEN , AND IT SHOULD CRANK. A THING TO REMBER IS THAT THE ENGINE WILL RUN EVEN WITH THE SWITCH SHUT OFF UNTILL IT BURNS ALL OF THE CHEM-TOOL OUT OF THE FUEL BOWL. WHEN THE ENGINE STOPS RUNNING , CHOKE THE ENGINE AND START THE ENGINE ON GAS , IF IT IS RUNNING A LITTLE ROUGH JUST SQUIRT A LITTLE OF THE CHEM-TOOL IN THE CARB THROAT A LITTLE AT A TIME UNTIL THE ENGINE RUNS SMOOTH. THIS IS WHAT MANY OF THE OUTBOARD MECHANICS DO AND CHARGE YA FOR A CARB. REBUILD. YA MIGHT HAVE TO REPEAT THE PROCESS SEVERAL TIMES ON AN ENGINE THAT HAS NOT BEEN RUN FOR A LONG TIME.
HOPE THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM, IF THE ENGINE HAS BEEN RUN ON ETHONOLE GAS WITH OUT A ADDITIVE TO COUNTER ACT THE ETHONOLE GAS YA MAY HAVE TO ADD DOUBLE AMOUNT OF STABIL TO STABILIZE THE FUEL IN YOUR TANK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Motor has no spark. It was running when I took it to the last mechanic. Came back with no spark. First time it has never had spark.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I've used Sunshine Marine /Garber Dr for my issues several times. I give them a solid B+ . No shop is perfect!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

CREWS MARINE in Perry.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Take it down to Waivel Porter in Woodville. :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE EMERGENCY KILL BUTTON IS PLUGGED IN, I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM YRS. AGO, I HAD PULLED THE KILL SWITCH OUT ACCIDENTLY AND RAN THE BATTERY COMPLETELY DOWN BEFORE I SAW THE KILL SWITCH ON THE FLOOR OF THE BOAT. JUMPED THE TRUCK BATTERY TO THE BOAT BATTERY AND SHE STARTED RIGHT UP.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Steve Stinson wrote:Take it down to Waivel Porter in Woodville. :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
seakeer

Post by seakeer »

A few years back, I took my Mercury Optimax to three different shops. The first let it sit for three months without touching it, and I didn't even get an apology. The second changed both batteries and the battery switch. It didn't make a difference. The third looked at it, made a few adjustments and told me he wasn't sure he did any good.It didn't make any difference. He didn't charge me so he still has my respect. I finally took it to Pete at Sunshine and told him to either fix it or put a new Yama on the back. He fixed it.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I know this is older, but I use Speed and Custom Marine in Quincy. Scott is a solid guy and a Merc man.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?