Rewiring A Boat Question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Rewiring A Boat Question

Post by Scoop Sea »

I'm considering a rewiring of my boat (05 SeaPro 2100, 150 Yamaha 2 Stroke). I don't have a lot of electronics on board, standard stuff: bottom machine, vhf, radio, etc.

If any of you all have any suggestions on who to take it to (I live in Wakulla) or how much I should budget for, I'd appreciate some feedback. There are currently no issues, but I would like to get it "tightened up" for its next 12 years of fishing.

In advance, thanks.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Rewiring A Boat Question

Post by silverking »

Mike Paulette at Shields did the Bayshore for me. They're slammed right now, so you might also check in with Mike's Marine Ways. Both shops can handle that task.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
edif

Post by edif »

Why not do it yourself its not that hard and you can save a ton of money.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Most electrical problems on a boat are at the connections to equipment and the proprietary connectors to electronics. The wires themselves don't wear out, and on most boats the only splices in the wires are where they are connected to devices. So regardless of how new or old the wires are, the connectors and connections are still the weak points. A 2005 model boat should have a modern fuse block and they don't wear out either. For me, unless I was having issues with dead shorts due to worn insulation or the boat sank, I'd save my money for new connectors as I need them, and leave the wires alone.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

edif wrote:Why not do it yourself its not that hard and you can save a ton of money.
I agree. I have an 04 Sea Pro 2100. The Sea Pros are great boats but have a reputation for wiring problems. I'm also the administrator for the Sea Pro Boating Forum. You can find wiring diagrams and info about doing it yourself there. Luckily, I haven't had many problems with mine but it really isn't difficult to rewire. The panel comes off easily and the wiring is chain linked. (jumpered from one switch to the next)
Here's the link in case you decide to do it yourself: http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

In my experience with saltwater environments and boat wiring, there is going to be corrosion issues. Corrosion means high resistance in the circuit, which will adversely affect operation of your electronics.
That being said, solder all your connectors. A soldered connector will be less affected by corrosion. All terminal connections to switches, fuse panels, etc. should be coated with dielectric grease or some other corrosion inhibitor.
Good luck with your project, or take it to Mike's Marine Ways.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

I've done a few, my recommendations:
Take your time, have a plan and draw it out.
Don't buy cheap connectors or wire, heat shrink everything.
Keep it organized, lots of zip ties.
Use this place for your wiring needs, http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-wire, make a list and put an order in.

I did my current boat when I first got it, haven't had an issue since. I'm planning a cap off restore, just because, not because it needs it. Wiring will be done again, all new. If you do it yourself and understand what is going on, it's much easier to troubleshoot on the water when need be.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Thanks fellas for the ideas, recommendations, etc.

It may be fairly simple to rewire for some folks, but yall fellas don't know my electrical skills (or lack thereof) :-D

I'm pretty frugal and try to get most things done myself, in this case, I'm good with spending some money to have someone who knows what they are doing to have them do it.

Once again, thanks for the heads up on possible options.

Tight lines.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."