2 Stroke 90 HP Mercury oil leak

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

2 Stroke 90 HP Mercury oil leak

Post by ddb »

I've got a 2 stroke 90 Hp mercury, circa 2000, that has a oil leak that appears to be emerging from the lower mount cover on the drive shaft housing.
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/Mercu ... T+H+SG.pdf

Just wondering what I might be getting into before hauling it into the shop? I took the cover off and that didn't reveal a lot. There are some metal flakes in there, likely off of a decaying lower mount. Not quite sure where the oil could be from if it's all related to the lower mount.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Stroke 90 HP Mercury oil leak

Post by DixieReb »

I'm guessing it's lower unit oil? I have a big 75HP Merc like yours and it's never done that. I'd probably drain it all out and see how the oil looks, might have more metal in there.
Yours in the South
ddb

Post by ddb »

I don't think it's coming from the lower unit, I think it's something higher. I should have posted a pic before, but I'm pic challenged.

It appears to be coming out of the cover to the lower mount.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I see it. I went out and looked at mine, and it doesn't have any oil or grease there. My Johnson on the other boat periodically leaks some steering column grease from the same area you are showing, so I think it may be some old grease leaking out. I'd clean it off and keep an eye on it, make sure it's still turning good with the wheel. :)
Yours in the South
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Is the oil tank inside the cowling on that motor?? If so, it appears to me that your two stroke oil may be leaking inside the cowling, then running down the side of the motor.

- Steve Stinson